Vittoria Zaffiro Tyre Upgrade

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking at upgrading the the Vittorio Zaffiro tyres that came with my Cinelli.

I use the bike for training in most weather but am looking at using it for a Road-bike TT series with my local club. Any suggestions?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would guess that GP 4 Seasons will be in the list of suggestions for all weather. Might also want to look at GP4000S or Ultremo zx if you are wanting something faster. I have Zaffiros too and just bought some 4 seasons - got no experience but these seem to be the main players as far as I can see.
  • skyblueamateur
    Thanks for your help!

Will there be anoticeable difference in performance from a £7 tyre to a £30 tyre?
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 102
    +1 for GP 4 Seasons. Have them on two bikes (25mm and 28mm).

When you say 'upgrade' could I suggest that if you're on 23s you move to 25s? The rolling resistance is LOWER, and the ride measurably better.

So far have only done 1,200 miles but no punctures across all weather (vs. mate with 3 in same period, although he's heavier). Grip is confident in wet and cold. Not heavy either (kevlar bead), and easy to change.

Is there a difference between £7 and £30? Yes: some will be matter of opinion (ride, rolling, maybe even grip etc etc, but main one will be puncture resistance, and secondarily likely to be weight, and thirdly the all-round 'capability' and quality.

It's like car tyres: a cheapie on the shopping run might not show its weakness until you stress it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    In my experience, the GP 4 Seasons cant beat the Zaffiro for puncture resistance. I have no complaints about the grip on the Zaffiros either, although from what I understand the 4 Seasons will be better. My hope is that rolling resistance might be better and maybe ride more comfortable - if it does either/both of these then I will be a happy man indeed!
  • skyblueamateur
    Thanks for you help.

After searching through the forum I ended up I ended up going for Vittoria Rubino Pro's which I got for £35 for the pair from Evans in the sale. I seriously considered the GP4's but the Rubino cam in at half the price.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    RJKflyer wrote:
    +1 for GP 4 Seasons. Have them on two bikes (25mm and 28mm).

When you say 'upgrade' could I suggest that if you're on 23s you move to 25s? The rolling resistance is LOWER, and the ride measurably better.

So far have only done 1,200 miles but no punctures across all weather (vs. mate with 3 in same period, although he's heavier). Grip is confident in wet and cold. Not heavy either (kevlar bead), and easy to change.

Is there a difference between £7 and £30? Yes: some will be matter of opinion (ride, rolling, maybe even grip etc etc, but main one will be puncture resistance, and secondarily likely to be weight, and thirdly the all-round 'capability' and quality.

It's like car tyres: a cheapie on the shopping run might not show its weakness until you stress it.

RJK, I have just "upgraded" from Schwalbe Luganos to the GP4000s (25's). Hoping to see some noticeable difference when I go out tomorrow hopefully in comfort and rolling resistance. A mate recently changed from his stock tyres to the GP 4seasons GT's and was amazed by the difference. He was harder to keep up with too!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    gp 4seasons tyres are really what they claim a tyres for all seasons. Most of my local club use them for a very good reason.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.