Triban Owners - Thoughts/Opinions Please

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Help. I need to know what these bikes are like for reliability and warranty related issues. Have you had any problems you'd consider 'major'

I'm considering buying a 3/3A or 5/5A, but have a slight problem. I live 120 miles from the nearest Decathlon (half way between Edinburgh and Sheffield)

Being my first road bike I want to at least sit on it before buying. I don't mind the drive to get it, or even if I don't. I'm more concerned if it would need any warranty work doing and returning to the shop - I've already had this confirmed via email.

Or should I just MTFU considering its a decent spec for not a lot of cash in the first place

Cheers

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I love mine. It is great to look at and build looks fine although I'm no pro.
    I know people with thousands of miles on them with no issues and a company like decathlon will look after you come warranty time.
    Living MY dream.
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I've done well over 1000 miles on my Triban 5 with just the one issue recently, something went wrong with the back wheel and Decathlon replaced without issue. He had it in the workshop and started to sort it right away. See below thead

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12908260&p=18173016#p18173016
  • kingofthetailwind
    kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
    edited March 2013
    After about 600 miles on mine:

Front wheel trued about two months after purchase

Bottom bracket replaced (to try and find the source of a creaking) and the rear freewheel replaced a couple of weeks ago.

All done free, straight away after coming in without an appointment.

There is an issue with the hubs on Tribans. But they are fixed/replaced free of charge as far as I know.

Overall very impressed with their customer service.

The workshop guys know their stuff. Compared to Halfords, they're pro mechanics.

If you're going for the entry level bike go for the 3 rather than 3A. The 3A has steel forks rather than the 3's carbon, and seems to have Microshift equipment rather than the 3's Shimano 2300. (and Sora front mech)
  • The last time I was in they were fitting a full Ultegra groupset to a T3 for a customer!
  • VTech
    I have wondered why the triban bikes never get rated in he magazine features for sub £500 classes. They would fair well I would guess and the support seems second to none, I mean, where else could you walk in off the street and get a repair done like decathlon ?
    Living MY dream.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mags generally only review stuff they get sent (for free), not sure what Decathlon's policy on that is
  • VTech
    Yes, that makes sense.
    I wonder how many tribans are sold yearly ?
    Living MY dream.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    VTech wrote:
    I have wondered why the triban bikes never get rated in he magazine features for sub £500 classes. They would fair well I would guess and the support seems second to none, I mean, where else could you walk in off the street and get a repair done like decathlon ?

Not true I'm afraid:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bik ... y-for.html

The above is one example, I am fairly sure I have seen very favourable reviews of the Triban in other cycling magazines
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    So basically, following this worldwide survey :)
    I might get a problem with the rear hub, and/or possibly with the BB

Any ideas how much the hub would cost to fix or replace. A BB wouldn't be worth the 240 mile round trip

I'm still trying to decide whether to get something relatively cheap like this, and pay cash, or get something a little dearer on the cycle scheme from work next month. So weighing up any potential costs and inconveniences versus something more local

Thanks for the replies
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    VTech wrote:

I believe it was in Cycling Active as a test bike last year and the reviewer liked it so much he bought it with his own cash.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Done over 600 miles on mine. Use it now for my commute, all be it it's only 10 mile in total, and I'm still waiting for my first problem.
  • Xascent
    Xascent Posts: 9
    Andy9964 wrote:

Any ideas how much the hub would cost to fix or replace. A BB wouldn't be worth the 240 mile round trip

I'm still trying to decide whether to get something relatively cheap like this, and pay cash, or get something a little dearer on the cycle scheme from work next month. So weighing up any potential costs and inconveniences versus something more local

Thanks for the replies

Unless you've got one by now I think the old Triban 3 red is out of stock and discontinued ! and I wanted one as well.
    Remains to be seen if the new Triban 3A White is worth buying, without the carbon forks and microshifter's instead, for £20 cheaper I doubt it.
  • Save a little more money and buy a Merlin. I got my first road bike a Malt-r for £500 with full tiagra triple groupset, they're based in Lancashire, only issue was the poor rim tape which they replaced along with 4 new inner tubes for free. My friend has a triban 3 and is ok but needed new tyres, pedals, bar tape and saddle straight away! In my opinion better off paying the extra as the tiagra groupset cost more than the triban 3!
  • Xascent wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:

Thanks for the replies

Unless you've got one by now I think the old Triban 3 red is out of stock and discontinued ! and I wanted one as well.
    Remains to be seen if the new Triban 3A White is worth buying, without the carbon forks and microshifter's instead, for £20 cheaper I doubt it.

The Triban 3 will continue to be sold in the UK. Guy in my local Decathlon doubts they'll stock many 3As. Shows as out of stock on the website sometimes, but loads of stock in store.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Just been into the local (Coventry) Decathlon today to look at a bike for a mate and we were told that the old 3s in stock were all that they had and they wouldn't be getting any more
  • My 13 yer old som has a Triban 3, he has covered over 300 miles since Christmas, with no issues at all.
    Excellent value for money.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s