Superstar

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
What are peoples opinion and the company SuperStar?
As ive heard mixed reviews about them and there products?

Im looking into buying a custom wheelset from them with these specs -

- Adaptor Inc F - SWITCH/TESLA 15mm Adaptor £300
- Adaptor Inc R - SWITCH/TESLA QR Adaptor
- Hub Type Front Tesla Front Hub - Red
- Hub Type Rear Tesla Rear Hub - Red
- Nipples Red Alloy SAPIM SILS
- Rim Superstar Sentinel White 29" - Tubeless Ready
- Rimtape 21mm Tubeless Tape and Valves
- Spokes Black Double Butted SAPIM Race Spokes

But im not 100% with reading what some people have said about "poor service" "spokes not tight when recieved" "hubs & bearings not lasting"

Can i have some people opinions as to what i should do or if i am or im not making the right decision going though them for this set?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can't legislate for morons.

I'd buy a set.
  • Dawesy92
    Cheers mate, wont be just yet as gotta save some funds for frame, then wheels, and forks haha, also need spending money for Florida later this year, but im just making sure i have the right idea and i wont get a shit wheelset for £300 :)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Mixed reviews when they first started out a few years back. But mostly good stuff in the last 24 months.

They have a free re-tension service which lasts for a lifetime for the original owner and also a crash replacement policy to get you back on the bike for a reasonable amount.
  • Dawesy92
    Good to know mate, cheers! :)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    I normally buy brake pads from them and never had a problem. Some people don't like the pads, some people complain because there's more material on them than OEM ones and they're harder to fit but it's not been a problem for me.

Recently bought a basic seatpost off them. Clamp bolt came loose yesterday as I was riding but I've tightened and seems OK, have this problem on any seatpost I've bought and it usually settles down.

Delivery is pretty quick too.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Don't want to slate them everywhere I go but I love my wheels (Stans Crest on Switch Evo), really don't like their customer service (read the last few pages of my build thread). They loosened up on the first ride, I sent them off to be fixed, and they were eventually returned 3 weeks later after countless phone calls, with worn rear bearings, which they wanted nothing to do with.

TBH though, at the price they sell them at, I'd still be tempted to buy another set if I needed them. Good quality when they're built well!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Depends how comfortable you are with tweaking things yourself. My set were badly built: round and straight, but no two spokes had equal tension, if any at all. Retensioned them myself and they were fine. Bearings were shot after 6wks for the front and about 6 months for the rear. Changed myself for some cheapo ebay ones, which lasted much longer. I've since sold them on and they're still going strong under a much more aggresive rider than myself. Now, as you probably see, this was a while ago, so I hope they've gotten better.

BUT, as Greer says, for the price I'd still be tempted, just prepared to give them a once over too. It's all pretty easy to do yourself.
  • Dawesy92
    Thats for the tips and opinions guys!! :)

Its a new build you see, 29er build anyway :)
    Wanna make sure ill be good, hoping that the tesla hubs are good, as ive heard good things about them online in places .. :)

Anyone tried the Tesla hubs while im on the subject?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some superstar wheels, bought used (they were 2009 I believe), were all original, one rear wheel bearing was rumbling which I've changed using minimal tools and the replacement need have cost no more than £5 if I was tight, as it was I replaced both with a better one for the one under most load at the rear.

I think most recent buyers I've seen reviews from have rated them very highly, Supersonic is a fan as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    The Tesla is a similar design to the Switch but has more engagement points and I believe comes with higher quality SKF bearings as standard. If you're on a tight budget go for the Switch if you have a bit to spare go for the Tesla.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bought a fair bit of gear off them over the last few years and apart from bearings dying fairly quickly in a mates Switch hub had no beefs with them. Wheel builds are funny things something that leaves the building jig tight and round can go egg shaped if you just look at it.

I had trouble with a front wheel from Merlin and had it retrued but the wheel never kept its tension and needed regular tweaks the back wheel just keeps on rolling with out even seeing a spoke key. Got a set of SS wheels (Mavic XM719 on Trizoid rear Switch front) on my Canyon and they are fine never needed touching so far and I am a fat knacker who likes blasting rock gardens.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Had no problems with my wheels. Took them to the LBS after a month to get checked over, didn't charge me as they didn't need any adjustments!

I rate superstar stuff pretty highly - good price, look great, do the job. Not necessarily the lightest but for the £££ you just can't complain!

Got quite a bit on my Canyon lol..

temporary_zps34c597c5.jpg
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    I have 2.5" tyres. will the Crest On Switch EVO Hubs wheels take them ? also are they tubeless or do they take innertubes?
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Never had a prob with any thing from them. Service has always been good.
  • Dawesy92
    Seems to be that theres more good than bad then!! :)

Going up to have a look at the store where im getting my frame from over the weekend (Planet X Dirty Harry 29er carbon frame) so gonna see what they have there aswell as regards parts and all that aswell :D
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I can't vouch for the wheels but can for Superstar as a company. I've made about 6 sperate orders off them in the last 9 months and postage has always been quick and customer service good. Had to send a seatpost back after ordering the wrong size and the turn around from me posting it back off was less than a week! I managed to loose a butt end in a crash and asked them nicely to send me a new one with my next order and they did. So all in all I've only had good experiences with them, Touch wood.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    i've always been impressed with how quickly stuff comes - and free haribo.

ive only ordered relatively small bits from them though, never wheels.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    sprite1275 wrote:
    I have 2.5" tyres. will the Crest On Switch EVO Hubs wheels take them ? also are they tubeless or do they take innertubes?

Why would you want to run a 2.5 tyre on a light weight rim? Presumably if you want tyres that big you ride harder trails and DH I which case the flow would be a much better bet.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    lawman wrote:
    sprite1275 wrote:

Why would you want to run a 2.5 tyre on a light weight rim? Presumably if you want tyres that big you ride harder trails and DH I which case the flow would be a much better bet.

I got it wrong, there 2.30. im mostly commuting and riding canal/trails.
  • Dawesy92
    Awesome, think im gonna order some of the 180mm floating roters off them aswell when i get around to it, look awesome, and reviews on there site seem good about them too!! :D

Dont know if anyone on here has used them or not?
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    Brought loads from them including a set of wheels( tesla front hub and trizoid rear) In feb no problems so far great wheels. Always fast delivery too. Not had any problems with anything yet and loads of superstar stuff on my bike
  • jairaj
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Awesome, think im gonna order some of the 180mm floating roters

As long as you are aware they are form over function then go for it.
  • Dawesy92
    What you mean by form over function?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    People on this forum hate the fact that people like to buy something that looks nice even if it doesn't improve the performance.

It's a forum pet hate...
  • Dawesy92
    According to what ive read about them then rival the hope floating roters, so they cant be that bad :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They don't offer any benefits to 99.99% of riders. So why bother? Cheaper and lighter available, and ones that are not going to start rattling in the future.
  • bennett_346
    I'm not interested that much in weight, i'd rather have something tart, so why bother with something lighter which looks worse?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Because they are cheaper and last longer? And as the OP seems to have little money looking at past posts, it seems a waste. I'd be saving for stuff that works well for the money.
  • Dawesy92
    Again im basing my point on what i have read about the reviews on SuperStars website, i havnt ridden them but with me getting red hubs i would like them to match, as i have a theme im aiming to keep to...
  • bennett_346
    They won't offer a performance upgrade, fact, if anything they are marginally more irritating than normal rotors. But if you want nice looking rotors and are prepared to pay the premium don't let people put you off.