Which tubeless rim tape - SS AM490/ Alex FR30

2»

Comments

• Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Sounds like you're getting the hang of it, I re-did my front tyre this week as I wasn't sure it had enough sealant in from the doing it originally and I found it extremely easy to get it inflated with the ghetto coke bottle and just some sealant on the tyre bead. Also I'm pumping my coke bottle inflator up to 110psi and haven't died...yet.
  • Just need to do my rear wheel now I think!

I had a go last night on the rear but encountered a new problem - the tyre was a bit deformed so the bead was too distorted to get a seal, even with the inflator. So I put a tube in and whacked it up pretty hard and left it overnight. Hopefully the bead will have evened out, if not I will just have to ride it for a bit.

So far I have managed to escape any jizzy sealant explosions.
  • Some more update:

Managed to mostly set up both the front and rear. I've only had one test ride proper due to problems with my rear.

The front has been absolutely fine and feels great. Super grippy too!

The rear was a pain to set up but seemed to get there in the end. However, on my first ride I managed to 'burp' the tire while clipping a rock, and then as I had lost a lot of pressure the whole tire rolled off the rim while going round the next corner. Quite annoying, and messy! I did suspect that the rear was losing pressure anyway, so maybe before it burped it was already low...but it is also possible that the pressure was always too low for me. I had aimed for 25 PSI but my gauge is not very accurate, and my bike and I are quite heavy. I've since put a tube in the rear for the meantime while I re-evaluate the situation.

SO my thoughts and questions are thus:

Was my pressure of 25 PSI for the rear too low? I suppose this would make burpage more likely.

Is it worth putting more rim tape on so that it runs from bead to bead? At the moment the tape covers the nipple holes and maybe 3/4 of the visible rim bed - but doesnt run from side to side. I could put a loop more tape on either side...but I am not sure if that would help. To be honest I read a lot of people suggesting this but I'm not really sure if it would make much difference.

Would it be worth applying neat sealant to the bead before seating the tire? I've read some suggestion of applying neat (thick) latex to sort of glue the bead in.

Any advice is most appreciated!
  • More tape May help if theres a small nick in whats there?? but by adding it to the bead wont make any difference, the tubeless system is such that the rim is sealed to prevent loss, and providing the tyre has no holes it will all be contained inside, my tape goes accross the width of the rim and a little of the sidewall but not up to the rim lip,
    it could be that your rear wasnt quite seated??

i put 2 loops of tape on when i replaced mine as thats what was on there, started about 8-10" before the valve hole and taped a complete loop and then did the second finishing 8-10" past the valve hole, whacked a tube in an old tyre to make sure it seated the tape on the rim (nothing more annoying than doing it and setting it up, only for the sealant to get under the tape and loose pressure and drip sealant out!), then the trusty DIY compressor to seat the proper tyre and sealant in through the valve,

HTH
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • More tape May help if theres a small nick in whats there?? but by adding it to the bead wont make any difference, the tubeless system is such that the rim is sealed to prevent loss, and providing the tyre has no holes it will all be contained inside, my tape goes accross the width of the rim and a little of the sidewall but not up to the rim lip,
    it could be that your rear wasnt quite seated??

I didnt mean to put tape so that it went around the bead. I mean that the tape I have applied doesnt touch the side of the rim. It is mostly contained in the middle rut around the nipples. It could be wider or spread more still without touching the vertical sides of the rim bead.

But yes it could be that it wasnt yet seated properly.

The thing is I am a little nervous about trying again. Its had a tube in it for a good while now though so that may help the bead I guess.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Was my pressure of 25 PSI for the rear too low? I suppose this would make burpage more likely.

May a bit low but it depends on the weight on it, generally if you're not dinging the rim then it's ok. At the moment I'm 26psi rear and 22psi front
    Is it worth putting more rim tape on so that it runs from bead to bead? At the moment the tape covers the nipple holes and maybe 3/4 of the visible rim bed - but doesnt run from side to side. I could put a loop more tape on either side...but I am not sure if that would help. To be honest I read a lot of people suggesting this but I'm not really sure if it would make much difference.

Although it won't stop burping the rim tape should coverall the width of the horizontal rim bed but not extend up the vertical rim bead. I've used 2 full layers although I think 3 would be better to build up the rim bed.
    Would it be worth applying neat sealant to the bead before seating the tire? I've read some suggestion of applying neat (thick) latex to sort of glue the bead in.

Yes. I've done this with mine using Stans and had no burping, from what I've read this is the best thing you can do to stop burping and apparently works really well with the BMX split inner tube if you still have burping.
  • Thanks Neal_ for this advice, it is most appreciated!

I will add some more rim tape - it certainly cant hurt.
    I will paint Stans around the bead, or some neat latex if I can get some.
    I will aim for a pressure of 30 PSI for the rear to begin with and see how I get on.

Thanks!