Will any hub fit my wheel ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks.

I have a question about hubs, mainly the rear.

I bought a wheelset from Superstar Components which was the biggest mistake of my life, I have no confidence in the rear hub as the freehub has failed and had a dodgy warranty repair.

I have stans crest rims, trizoid superleggera rear hub (specs are: pcd left 58mm, pcd right 58mm, spoke hole id 2.5mm, flange left 34mm, flange right 23mm) sapim cx-ray bladed spokes.

I want to take this hub and free hub off and throw it as far into the field as I can, so my question is, can I replace this hub and free hub with an aftermarket one ? because I am tied into buying the SS freehubs as they only fit their main hub body, and its junk.

I have seen this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=60997

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - QR, gets good reviews but I dont know if it will just fit or if I am stuck with that SS hub due to spoke length etc.

If anyone can confirm that a different hub will fit so I can burn this one that would be much appreciated.

Cheers :D

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Yes, spoke length needs to be taken into account. Find out the relevant measurements and plug them into DT's calculator or Spocalc. There's no short cut, if the spokes are too short or long, by not much more than a mm or so, then you're probably looking at new spokes too.
  • Anonymous
    Oh no, my fears have come true.

Thanks for the tip on the spoke calculator I shall have a look for that now.

I spent 400 pound on this wheelset and looks like I may be stuck with it, damn...

Thanks for the info mate :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There's nothing wrong with what you've got. I'd still buy them. Put some decent bearings in. Job done, shite happens.
  • Anonymous
    SS are trying to say water ingress is what caused it, what a cop out, their bearings lasted 10 weeks on the front, I was forced to replace them at my cost with quality FAG bearings and there has been no bother in the last 6 months.

SS just charged me 20 for more inferior bearings on the rear and its always shelling out, am up to 410 quid on these wheels now which are just gonna last weeks until they need new bearings again, and when the freehub goes I have to go back to SS for another one when I dont want to give them business :(
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    What exactly is failing on the freehub? Remember you should have a different warranty on any new freehubs you buy so they should be replaced if they are totally failing within a matter of weeks.

If you aren't wanting to get bearings off Superstar, because I completely agree they are shockingly bad, then just don't get them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    These things happen. I had one set of Superstar hubs which needed new bearings after only a few weeks. I have also had the same with Nukeproof & Hope hubs. These things happen.
    I also have another three Superstar hubs which are on the original bearings after three years.

I design machines for a living and regularly see bearings die before a machine has even finished testing in the workshop, it doesn't matter what make they are. It just happens. They are a very cheap, high precision component, you just have to accept that sometimes they will be faulty. There are some exceptions, I have never seen faulty Cooper bearings but they are several times the price of other bearings and very heavy.
  • Anonymous
    My problem is this..

I bought the wheelset for 299, after 10 weeks the front bearings went, they said it was my fault ! I replaced them with FAG ones and they have been ace since, so front end, sorted (now I paid for quality bearings).

Now the rear has failed, last week the cassette was going round but the wheel wasnt moving, I took the wheel into SS and they said the bearings were seized, they have apparently replaced all 4 and that will be 20 pounds please, so much for free warranty, I am angry because I wasnt told there would be a cost and I dont want those shite bearings in my hubs.

I got the wheel home to see their heavy handed approach have filed at an angle one of the disc tabs where you bolt the disc into the wheel, when I questioned them about this they said it must have happened in transit, what, sat on the back seat of my car, there so frustrating and will not take responsibilty for anything.

Then the gearing was all out of alignment, the cassette now sits closer to the centre of the wheel and the mech cage is like 2mm away from the spokes, eventually I got it indexing and when I took the bike out I got this intermittent droaning noise coming from the hub.

I am up to 410 quid on this wheelset and its only a matter of time before I brake down with a slipping cassette because their cheap bearings fail again and I end up being stranded miles from home.

Am pretty sure am going to take them to small claims court to recover my money, I just cannot cycle with any confidence on this wheelset now and I'll be damned if am spending another 30 quid on quality bearings when I have just been forced to spend 20 on crap ones :( and I am always going to have to go back to SS for their freehub as its the only one that fits. GRRRRR
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I wouldn't have given them a penny. You can't add in a tool to the cost.

You should have noticed the mark they made when you picked them up.

They'd need new bearings eventually any how, better to get them in now.

You should learn how to index your gears anyway, not sure what was/is actually going on there though.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If the indexing is off that sounds like either it's a different freehub design or there is something missing inside meaning the freehub is going further in than it should. I may be wrong here but I'm not sure how seized bearings would stop the freehub engaging, that's an issue with the pawls. Usually pretty easy to fix and pretty cheap, no need for a whole new freehub.

I do agree it sounds awful and sounds pretty similar to my experiences with Superstar regarding wheel warranties (everything is YOUR fault, nothing is our fault so we're not going to do anything to help you and lie to you just so we can keep your money and maybe even get more out of you) but I also agree I wouldn't have given them a penny I didn't want too, if they had told you it was going to be done under warranty for free then they are going back on their word so you should have refused to pay and if they wanted to take the bearings out they had just fitted, so be it.

Others may disagree with me but I personally think small claims court could be the answer. Tell them if they don't sort the issues out for you then you will be taking them to small claims court, the threat alone could help. It is a shame that it sounds like you have done everything in person and you transported the wheel yourself though, usually much better to have everything in writing and let them deal with the transportation as they are responsible for it.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah I think small claims court is the way, its simple to do, had to do it once with my brother who got ripped off by a car dealer, you fill in a form, pay 50 quid, they have to go to court its that simple, if they dont go and defend themselves then you get awarded the judgement and they get a CCJ against them, you pay a further £30 for a warrent of execution and bailifs go round and collect the money.

Just a pain in the ass having to go to the court get the form fill it in etc, but am sick and tired of companies like this taking advantage, and I hate the fact that I am stuck with SS freehub whilever I am using this wheelset.

I'll let you know when I submitted the form and how the case goes :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why not just sell the rear wheel and buy a Hope Hoop on a Crest rim? Less faff, and gets you what you want.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have found Superstar to be very helpful when I had a warranty claim.
    Bearings won't be covered by warranty as they are a consumable so you won't have any case against them unless you can prove that there is another fault.
    FAG Bearings aren't particularly good quality, no better than the ones supplied with Superstar wheels. NSK are slightly better but in my experience there is very little difference in bearing quality.
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    CubeCrazy

I don't suppose you know what the wheelset weight was on your bike when you first got it? Also, how long have you had your Cube and how's it standing the test of time? Got mine almost a year ago, so just interested to know.

You may want to consider xt hubs. Not he lightest, but roll long and fast, there tough and require minimal maintenance. Had mine almost a year, act new, look new and have had zero maintenance. Check out reviews of them and look on youtube too.

Like what you've done with your bike so far, looks very nice!
  • Anonymous
    Yes mate the original wheel set was as follows:

WEIGHT

Front Rim: 980g
    Rear Rim: 1201g

No QR skewers or anything, just rim tape.

I had me cube about 18 months now and I love it (apart from the Superstar Componets wheels which I bought which are garbage) and I have replaced/upgraded every component apart from the frame and chainset.

I've decided to go the small claims court route with Superstars, they are now calling me a liar saying I damaged the wheel in transit in my car lol unbelieveable, the clicking noise from the freehub has vanished, its silent, it wasn't like this before, but according to SS its fine, pfffttt.

When I get my money back from small claims I will need a new wheelset.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My Superstar freehub has lost it's clicking noise, probably over a year ago but it's still fine even after riding in all weather and the occasional DH race.
    You won't get anything from the small claims court, the warranty doesn't cover bearings unless you can prove superstar damaged your hub.
  • Anonymous
    Thats interesting to know about the noise, thanks.

I'll be taking them to court for a wheelset that is just not fit for purpose, there should be consumer laws to protect me from companies like this, had they been decent I would have worked with them, but when they start saying as a customer than I am lieing then thats where I draw the line.

I wish I could throw the whole hub in the bin and get another one which would mean am into these wheels for 600 quid, but getting one to fit with these spokes is something that I think is going to be a real challange, it goes over my head just thinking about it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have a look at Halo hubs if you really want to change them. I'm sure they make a hub with the same body and freehub as the Trizoid.
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    Cheers!

Mine must be about the same then. I take it yours also came with Alex rims and rapid robs? I take it the only difference will be the hubs. This gives me a good estimation of my wheelset weight. Handy to know, especially when comparing a potential new wheelset. I hope to save at least 500g in weight, based on mine being roughly 2000g, thats with tyre changes also.

As for your wheelset problem, try contacting Merlin cycles. They have an apparently exceptional wheel building guy there. It may be worth seeing if they can help with a good repair, or at least give you some good information and advice.
  • Anonymous
    Lovely thanks I will look them up :D
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the tip on Merlin tezboy :D some good info here which has calmed me down a bit.

You should save a good half a kg with a light weight wheelset, I saved a lot with tyres too, bike went from 13.5kg standard and got it down to 9.9kg rigid but now I gone back to a hardtail today its 11.3kg and it sure does make a difference on the climbs, well all over really.

I'd love a 10kg hardtail but thats gonna cost $$$$
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will not get anything through small claims at this stage.
  • Anonymous
    I believe I will.

All I want is a refund for the wheelset.

Superstars have refused to take responsibility for their faulty goods and use poor workmanship which has resulted in me being substantially out of pocket.

Am pretty sure a court would agree and therefore the judgement would go in my favour for a refund.

Am prepared to spend £80 to find out anyway, about time someone stood up to Superstars, am just off to get the N1 form now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No chance at all. You have a working wheel, and you decided to pay for the bearings. Don't waste another 50 quid.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just sell the wheel and buy a Hope one if that's what you want. Don't waste £80 on a spurious small claims court claim.

Mountain/molehill
  • Anonymous
    Superstars did some minor damage to one of the brake rotor tabs and shaved it down a little during there warranty inspection, not sure anyone would buy it now ? plus I would be selling for a big loss all the while SS are laughin.

I dont know why they wont just give me a refund, even if they did I would still be £110 down, its garbage...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have an unrealistic attitude towards bearings, you could replace them yourself for a fiver (I have on my SS).

I'm not convinced about your allegation of the cassette moving unless the freehub was moving out due to the failing bearings which could explain the loss of drive as well......

As they are now fixed, just ride them!

With SS, I seriously doubt a court claim will succeed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    How do I have a unrealistic attitute towards bearings ? SS bearings are renowned for being rubbish, mine lasted 10 weeks in the front, I repalced with FAG ones and 6 months on no problems.

Rears failed SS said due to water ingress, they will tell you anything, other people report the bearings only lasting weeks too before needing replacement.

As for replacing them for a fiver, the rear hub needs 4 bearings and FAG ones are £7+ each!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kastec are £2.50 each (give or take), you don't need to replace all 4, just the ones that have failed, very rare for the freehub ones to fail as they take very little load, hence a fiver.

SS are not renowned for being rubbish, there are a lot or reports of it, but they sell a heck of a lot of wheels, I suspect the early life failure is no worse than any other, but like Halfords, you sell 50 times as many you get 50 times as many complaints....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    In my experience with Neil its been a very bad one, the list is long and i'd rather not bore folks with it unless they wanna know, heres a link where theres a small army of people who have also suffered at the hands of SS:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ost/page/3
  • rockmonkeysc
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    As for replacing them for a fiver, the rear hub needs 4 bearings and FAG ones are £7+ each!

Where do you buy bearings???
    I got a complete set of NSK rear bearings from a local bearing supplier for just under £10.
    They are just simple, single row bearings which most bearing suppliers stock for a couple quid each.