Rear derailleur cage size?

FergySteve
FergySteve Posts: 82
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I've received my new 105 rear derailleur in the post and have realised I've ordered the 5701-GS model which is a longer cage model. What difference will this make to the running of the system and should I have ordered the standard cage (5701-SS) model? I've looked on my grilfriend's bike and she seems to be running the shorter cage model.

I'm looking at running a 50/34 chainset with a 11-28 cassette. I can return the derailleur easily enough if I need to change. Any help greatly appreciated.
2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
2012 Boardman Road Race 105
2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It is not any major issue apart from a link or 2 extra on the chain length needed possibly.. you'll know if you fit and run it up and down the gears on the workstand.
    Other than that it is just the look of it.
  • Yeah, I think I prefer the look of the short cage one. This one looks like it would hang quite low and look a bit off. I take it the short cage one will work with the gearing I mentioned? If so, I think I will return it and get the other one.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It will work.. just make sure the b screw is adjusted to keep the chain at top jockey wheel position from snagging on the sprockets.. again you will notice this when going thru the gears after fitting.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    You are supposed to get better shifting, but that may be just marketing talk. GS ones are normally for triples I think but will be fine.
  • zx6man wrote:
    You are supposed to get better shifting, but that may be just marketing talk. GS ones are normally for triples I think but will be fine.

Sorry, do you mean better shifting with the GS or SS?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    SS better shifting from what you read, and probabaly not noticable
  • Okie doke. Thanks. I have ordered the replacement and will return the GS. Every day's a school day! :D