SRAM WiFli

defycomp2
defycomp2 Posts: 252
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Has anyone tried an 11-34 instead of 11-32 with a full Apex setup? My mind says it should work with a bit of tweaking of the B adjuster but I though I'd better ask before I venture onto CRC or Wiggle. I know the ideal answer is to lose weight and to practice hills; I'm doing both but after 40-50 miles of short, sharp Cornish ups and downs my legs just cannot spin up 1:5 or 1:10 hills. Thanks in advance.
Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)

Comments

• I know some people say opt for the 12-32 as the jumps between ratios are less pronounced (and would you miss the 11? I wouldn't!)

I'd be keen to know the answer to this too. Got the Etape followed by the alpe in 3 months time and want to swap to wifli for the trip and trying to decide whether to go as low as possible or plump for a 32.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I am in a very hilly area and use a WiFli 11-32 cassette. The 32 cog only gets used at gradients 15% and above. I would have thought that a 32 in the Alps will be fine as a bail out gear because most of the Alpine climbs are <10%.

Having said that, I did use the 32 at the top of the Sustenpass, but I wouldn't have wanted anything lower.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have Force Wifli with an 11-32. I'm crap at climbing, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger on the cassette.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.