Running an 18mm tub on a Firecrest rim

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Does anyone know if it's OK to run an18mm Tufo tub on a wide 303 FC rim as a get home tyre?

Zipp advise 21mm for TT and 23mm tubs for racing (I use the latter size) but they don’t state a minimum width.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    I don't think it's OK... I have a very old 18 mm tub... it is very very very tiny... little more than a toothpaste squeeze in diameter... in addition, it needs at least 120-130 PSI to get you home... which is not something easy to achieve on the road.
    The smaller the tyre the higher the pressure required... so ideally as a spare you want something bigger, rather than smaller
    left the forum March 2023
  • thegreatdivide
    Thanks ugo. I didn’t think so either. I run 22mm Veloflex on the Colnago and they’re skinny enough!

I'm just looking for the lightest tub I can get away with when the ride dictates a spare as well as Pit Stop.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Thanks ugo. I didn’t think so either. I run 22mm Veloflex on the Colnago and they’re skinny enough!

I'm just looking for the lightest tub I can get away with when the ride dictates a spare as well as Pit Stop.

With good folding skills you can fit a 23 pretty much anywhere, including the pocket of a jersey. Just avoid the Gatorskins, which are massive and don't fold well
    left the forum March 2023
  • thegreatdivide

With good folding skills you can fit a 23 pretty much anywhere, including the pocket of a jersey. Just avoid the Gatorskins, which are massive and don't fold well

I've got my spare Corsa which will fit in a jersey, but I think my search for a lightly used 21mm Tufo Elite jet 120 will continue...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Weightweenies use one of the lightweight Tufo tubs as a spare, it has no inner so folds really small.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,852
    ^^^ this

a tufo elite jet <160 is 20mm, still needs pumping up quite a way, but the construction is probably less likely to pinch flat, after flatting and fitting it i got it to 8 bar and did a few laps on it to see how it handled, felt fine, for a get-you-home spare it's probably the smallest/lightest option

only real issue is the cost unless you can pick up a reasonable used one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny