Upsetting frame geometry with a fork

Dean909
Dean909 Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a Trek Fuek EX9 frame, and pairing it with a Fox 32 Talas 150 fork.

A friend of mine says that this will not upset the geometry of the bike, however Chain Reaction Cycles seem to think that they're not a good fit for each other, and would only recommend a Fox Float or Talas 120.

Has anyone done anything similar, or should I be considering the Remedy frame instead of the Fuel to support the increased travel?

Many thanks,

Dean.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a couple people who have fitted a Rockshox Revelation to an EX8/9 but they reduced the travel of theirs down to 130mm.
    To be honest though the Talas fork is pretty horrible, all the torsional stiffness of piece of string and poorly damped.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    130 or 140mm would be OK, 150is probably a step too far!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dean909
    Dean909 Posts: 6
    Thanks guys!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    im not so sure it would be bad. The effective difference is just over 20mm, which means that it will have some effect on handling, but it might not be terrible; geometry is a personal preference, not a statement of fact, so your friend might prefer it that way. I do agree on the Talas though, best avoided IMHO. Im guessing going to 150 shows intent to ride hard? I would personally pair it with some 140mm Sektors or Revelations.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will have effects other than just altering the head angle. You will raise the bottom bracket which has a negative effect on stability and it raises the bars which moves your CofG backwards and up which will mean that the front wheel will lift more easily when climbing.
    It will also invalidate the warranty on a frame which does have cracking problems (mostly seat stays though).
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I had an ex8 with 140mm forks and it was great, it might change bottom bracket height and head angle slightly but not enough for your average rider
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite