campag cassette spacing?

Gary Marshall
Gary Marshall Posts: 196
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

As part of my 'classic' rebuild taking the cassette off a mavic ksyrium ssc sl to put it on a campag record hub c.2001 from the original build so it has run 10 speed before, I think it may well be a 9/10 hub.

I noted from the mavic hub it had a spacer before the largest sproket but doesn't look like this is needed on the campag hub, is this correct?

I can't fully tighten it up at the moment as the campag lockring is missing (now on order) and the mavic one doesn't seem to tighten up but I may have the spacers in the wrong order, is there a decent on-line guide to this anywhere?

Cheers

Gary

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's no spacer on any of my Campag hub'd wheels running Campag 10 speed.

The cassette spacers shouldn't make any difference in terms of order to the overall thickness as long as you have them all! However, they are not all the same. The round ones go between the smaller sprockets as is pretty obvious. The transparent one is, by default, the first of the bigger ones though it is the same thickness as most of the others. The tricky one is that which goes between the largest two sprockets. This is the one you may not have noticed - it is thinner than the others. Why this one isn't the transparent one is probably logical only to an Italian but it will mess the shifting up if you get it in the wrong place as I found out in the obvious way. But it won't affect the actual fit of the cassette onto the hub.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have 3 different width spacers, one was between the largest sprocket and the spokes, one in the cassette between some of the double sprokets and then the obvious single spacers, I'm not sure if i have mixed up the two slightly thicker ones. The thicker ones have a double groove.

I was keeping them all together but got mixed up in cleaning, and frustration with the bottom bracket that is now in and running dream like!