Wobbly BB

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Well - it had to happen ...

After just 4k miles the bottom bracket on my Allez has decided to wobble.
It has the base Shimano 2300 kit on - and the chain rings are coming towards the end of their days too.

The question is: Do I just replace the BB with a new square taper or replace with something like a tiagra BB and crankset?

Ultimately I'd like to replace the groupset for 105 - although I hadn't intended to replace the BB and crankset first!
I suppose the next question is - do I take it into the LBS to get done or do I buy the tools and do it myself?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    get the tools and diy, in the long run it's cheaper and you'll probably get better results

depending on where the wobble is, it may just be loose, in which case as long as it hasn't caused any damage you can simply tighten things up and it'll be fine

if the crankset is tired and worn, i'd check ebay and special offers for a replacement

sticking with shimano, hollowtech ii is the current bb, there's still older octalink stuff out there, both will be fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • slowbike
    Thanks ...

So, assuming it needs replacing I could go for a quick replacement Octalink BB as a direct replacement for the existing ... but then I'd still need to replace the chainrings sooner rather than later ... or I could go the whole hog and go for hollowtech II ...
    Now to perfect my argument for the latter! :)
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    go for hollowtech 2 fella its dead easy to fit and work with

i have been buying parts for next years winter bike and been picking up parts as and when needed

i got a tiagra compact chainset for £35 which was brand new think they cost about £60 to buy new and the quality is awesome.. i got a BB for £14 so wont break the bank and certainly be an upgrade from you 2300 gear

go for it
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • slowbike
    Ta. That's what my heart is telling me - just checked the rings and there not as badly worn as I thought though.

Also - a little concerned about the compatibility between 8 speed and 10 speed kit. I want to go 10 speed eventually - but orb not till the summer.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    the front rings shouldn't cause you issues...

to save more money you might be able to pickup chainrings for cheaper...go for 105/tiagra.

not sure about 8speed, but your main concern is the rear hub (which i think it should be ok for 10speeds) and you obviously need to change your shifters for 2x10
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    with a complete 10-speed crankset you might get some chain rub when on the small ring

if it's enough to be an issue just fit a 10-speed chain and it'll be ok (i run 10-speed crankset and chain on an otherwise 9-speed bike, works fine)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • slowbike
    After all that - I've decided just to replace the BB like for like for now ... I'm hoping it is the same size as the wifes bikes BBs - so I can replace mine with a nice shiney new one without wearing out this one first.