What are these things on my cables?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited March 2013 in Workshop
My derailleur cables are internally routed. I have these connectors on the outers. How exactly do they work and what do I need to know before changing my cables in future?

Cheers!

Comments

• These are inline tensioners. because your cables are internally routed, your cabletension is adjusted (on the fly) using these barrel adjusters. Screwing them counter clockwise 'lengthens' the cables and increases cable tension.

When renewing the outer or inner cables replace you need to screw them back in before readjusting.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    They're barrel adjusters not connectors, the inner gear cable threads through and the outer doesn't, these give you some adjustment on your front and rear derailleur with the threaded barrel.
    All will become apparent when you remove the old cable.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Or just ditch them when you replace the cables? If you don't know what they are then you've obviously not used them so not much point in being there!

I had inline adjusters on my 105 kit, but when I upgraded to Ultegra I just binned them as I never used them. If you need to adjust the cable tension for the derailleurs then just do it with the barrel adjuster at the other end.
  • Or just ditch them when you replace the cables? If you don't know what they are then you've obviously not used them so not much point in being there!

I had inline adjusters on my 105 kit, but when I upgraded to Ultegra I just binned them as I never used them. If you need to adjust the cable tension for the derailleurs then just do it with the barrel adjuster at the other end.
    There is no adjuster on the front mech so removing the inline one would make setting up the front mech a pain
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or just ditch them when you replace the cables? If you don't know what they are then you've obviously not used them so not much point in being there!

There is no adjuster on the front mech so removing the inline one would make setting up the front mech a pain

Hence why my Look has one on the front mech cable only. That said, can be handy to be able to tweak the rear whilst on the go if you feel the need.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My advice would be to keep them. Very handy to have, and even if you don't use them someone else who is servicing your bike will be glad of them. Or get someone to show you how to use them.
  • mitchgixer6

True, but how often does the fd need adjusting once it's set up?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518

I've just had to put one on my Izalco for that very issue, it helps when you're setting the gears up and when you get a bit of cable stretch. I was on a ride when the FD started to get a bit hit and miss, used the inline adjuster while i was on the bike and bobs your uncle. A few minutes work can save some cursing in the long run.
  • Or just ditch them when you replace the cables? If you don't know what they are then you've obviously not used them so not much point in being there!

But how do you get the correct cable tension when setting up the front mech with out the adjuster.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    And even if you do, cable stretch after a couple of months can throw it far enough off to end up with some chain rub :evil: . Much easier to use a barrel adjuster than have to re-tension the whole thing!
  • mitchgixer6
    Must just be me then. I put new shifters/cables/front mech on 4 months ago and haven't had to touch it since. I must just be lucky!
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228

And if you're setting up the front mech without them, getting the cable tension correct is just pot luck at least for most of us.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    ...also I find those ones crap. They creak like hell after a while and need oiling. The other jagwire ones are much better IMO.

http://jagwire.com/img/products/lg/BSA0441.jpg