No Drive with Cassette

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Whilst out today the rear cassette just started spinning in both directions giving me no drive. We free wheeled back to have a cup of coffee in a cafe whilst waiting for a lift and then it started working fine and we were able to get back home. I am being led to believe the issue lies with the hub failing but the wheels are only 250miles old having been bought new in January. Any advice?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The free wheel is either wet and freezing or is over packed with grease or is just dead.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    so its either a temp glitch, temp mechanical issue or permanent mechanical issue. Not much to go at there!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably water in the freehub freezing in the cold
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I had the spring clip that operates the freewheel prawls break on a Fulcrum wheel a few years ago, this happened with limited miles.

Since then one new spring and had no probs
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Probably water in the freehub freezing in the cold

Given the weather that would get my vote. And I'd be wanting to take it off for a clean / dry / lube when I warmed up again.

My Shimano freehub seems to be pretty well sealed; are Campag / Fulcrum freehubs similarly weather proof?