Freewheel to cassette?

jasyboy
jasyboy Posts: 5
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi, new to bike radar and been back into cycling for about the last 5 years but my budget bike is getting tired. Looking for some help if that's ok, I have an old school freewheel 7 speed sis set up and my hubs are shot, can I buy some new school wheels ( cassette style), put a 7 speed cassette on and still us the same derailer thats on the bike. Many thanks.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    7 speed bikes could be 126mm or 130mm spacing. 126mm pacing cassette hubs are no longer in production however I stock NOS 126mm rear hubs that are HG compatible (with a change of freehub). If your rear triangle has a 130mm spacing then any modern road hub will work as they are all 130mm OLD. Shimano Sora or Tiagra hubs are a cheap hub that will do the job and a 7 speed cassette will fit with a 4.5mm spacer.

Building wheels to a 126mm spacing is not a problem if that is what you have. You can also space a 126mm frame to 130mm and it shold be O.K if its steel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jasyboy
    The spacing you are talking about, is that the distance between one side of the frame to the other as just measured mine at 135mm?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Yes, you can just get new wheels with a freehub. You will need to put a spacer behind the 7-speed cassette though.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • jasyboy
    declan1 wrote:
    Yes, you can just get new wheels with a freehub. You will need to put a spacer behind the 7-speed cassette though.
    Wheels i am looking at say, shimano 8/9/10 speed compatible 8 speed may require spacer, im guessing this would be the same for the 7 speed with just a larger spacer? thanks to you both by the way.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You just put one of these:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/17 ... pacer.html

Onto the freehub before you put the cassette on, and it should work (I'm actually doing this soon as well).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • jasyboy
    Thanks declan, your help is much appreciated