Can anyone suggest a 2x9 crankset?

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Since building up my bike I opted to go with a triple crank with a 9 speed cassette and a Deore rear derailleur. I kind of regret going for a triple. It isn't easy to get a chain guide for and as such I am already thinking of swapping the crank to a 2x9. Just wondered if anyone could suggest a good crankset to go for (preferably with a BB included). I mainly use it for trail riding and a little bit of road (to get there sometimes). It is going on a 2009 Kona Caldera.

I also am thinking of removing a couple of the chain links and putting on a chainstay protector as I get a fair bit of chain slap. Although this will probably only happen when I go for a double crank.

Budget of around £100

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use the one you have, remove the big ring and refit the middle using shorter bolts - sorted

If you want different gearing get a ring 9or rings) of the sizes you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doublem_1
    Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a good idea actually. Might install a bash on it then to retain the existing bolts. Can you suggest a chain guide to use? It will have to be BB mounted.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    blackspire stinger bb mount.
  • doublem_1
    I do like the look of the stinger. So will this fit any bashguard? The crank I have is currently 44/32/22T and 104/64mm bolt diameter

Thanks for the help guys.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It'll fit it if you take the outer ring off yes. Up to 38t i believe.
  • doublem_1
    Thanks, bought the Superstar one instead. Now to find a Bash that will fit. :)