Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

GW changes and race *spoilers*

• Richmond RacerRichmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    I NEED A CLIP OF THAT PLANE LANDING FOR WHEN MY HOUSEMATE ASKS ME WHY IVE SPENT ALL DAY ON THE SOFA AGAIN!

You're going to get bed sores at this rate :)
  • ddraver wrote:
    Great attack by Sagan, fair play, great ride. Wheelie over the line - complete [email protected]

Can't do one either eh?

Yeah don't understand the problem. McEwen used to wheelie over every HC summit on the Tour.

And Chiappucci used to bunny hop them.

Personally, I didn't particularly like the wheelie there.

He's won the race, he can celebrate how he wants.

If he wins Flanders, I want to see him walk across the line, bike above his head, then toss it to the floor and walk off.

But there are limits to what is acceptable. He can't stick two fingers up for example. A sprinter pulling a wheelie over a mountin pass that's taking the wee wee out of themselves and the climb. It's something else when you've just won a race, it could be construed as taking the wee wee out of your competitors. If I was his mum I'd tell him how proud I was of him but to wind his neck in a little.

Exactly that. He don't need to act like some arrogant tool. FWIW I like Sagan, especially when he rides like this and doesn't just follow wheels, he is a class act. I just think pulling wheelies over the line is a d1ck head thing to do. As for the analogy about playing with your mates in the park, that's fine if he is riding with his mates but he isn't, it's a pro race. You don't see any pro footballers pulling that trick.

But ah well, each to their own...
    When a true genius appears in this world, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
  • Richmond RacerRichmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I can totally admire Sagz talent and still think he's a bit of a d^£k
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,697
    If I was his mum I'd tell him how proud I was of him but to wind his neck in a little.
    If you were my mum and I'd just won a big race against the best cyclists in the world I'd hand you the bike and suggest you to show me next week the correct way it should be done. I don't get why the guy can't have some fun while doing his work.

You should work for the UCI. You get to wear beige slacks and a blazer, and could spend your time making new regulations about UCI-sanctioned (i.e. boring, tedious) finish line celebrations.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 24,041
    ddraver wrote:
    I NEED A CLIP OF THAT PLANE LANDING FOR WHEN MY HOUSEMATE ASKS ME WHY IVE SPENT ALL DAY ON THE SOFA AGAIN!

You're going to get bed sores at this rate :)

I know, no Cycling, no Hockey Girls! Seriously it's like I'm in Algeria already!

(calm down Simon! :shock: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Great attack by Sagan, fair play, great ride. Wheelie over the line - complete [email protected]

Can't do one either eh?

Yeah don't understand the problem. McEwen used to wheelie over every HC summit on the Tour.

And Chiappucci used to bunny hop them.

Personally, I didn't particularly like the wheelie there.

He's won the race, he can celebrate how he wants.

If he wins Flanders, I want to see him walk across the line, bike above his head, then toss it to the floor and walk off.

But there are limits to what is acceptable. He can't stick two fingers up for example. A sprinter pulling a wheelie over a mountin pass that's taking the wee wee out of themselves and the climb. It's something else when you've just won a race, it could be construed as taking the wee wee out of your competitors. If I was his mum I'd tell him how proud I was of him but to wind his neck in a little.

Exactly that. He don't need to act like some arrogant tool. FWIW I like Sagan, especially when he rides like this and doesn't just follow wheels, he is a class act. I just think pulling wheelies over the line is a d1ck head thing to do. As for the analogy about playing with your mates in the park, that's fine if he is riding with his mates but he isn't, it's a pro race. You don't see any pro footballers pulling that trick.

But ah well, each to their own...

There are limits to what you think are acceptable. Under the rules there are no limits. And who's he hurting? If it annoys his competitors, well they should just beat him and then he won't get to celebrate. As to your footballers point, I give you

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1391308-10-of-the-most-iconic-goal-celebrations-in-world-football
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • lucan2lucan2 Posts: 293
    Who got the minor placings?
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 60,877 Lives Here
    If the only thing people moaned about was me winning too much and my celebrations, I wouldn't give a flying...
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,723
    I don't get it.

A young guy has just won a big race in the grand manner, and has a bit of fun at the finish which the crowd loves. What's the problem? He's not showing anyone up, he's just celebrating. If other riders don't like it, or think he is taking the piss, the answer is simple - stop him winning. Preferably by working together to bring him back, instead of just letting him ride away and waiting for everyone else to chase. THAT is taking the piss, out of sponsors and spectators.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
    1 SLW
    Peter Sagan CAN
    4u29'10"
    2 SLO
    Borut Božic AST +23"
    3 BEL
    Greg Van Avermaet BMC +23"
    4 AUS
    Heinrich Haussler IAM +23"
    5 SPA
    Juan Antonio Flecha VCD +23"
    6 FRA
    Matthieu Ladagnous FDJ +23"
    7 OOS
    Bernhard Eisel SKY +23"
    8 BEL
    Stijn Vandenbergh OPQ +24"
    9 OEK
    Jaroslav Popovitsj RLT +24"
    10 CRI
    Andrey Amador MOV +24"
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 11,318
    Simon E wrote:
    If I was his mum I'd tell him how proud I was of him but to wind his neck in a little.
    If you were my mum and I'd just won a big race against the best cyclists in the world I'd hand you the bike and suggest you to show me next week the correct way it should be done. I don't get why the guy can't have some fun while doing his work.

You should work for the UCI. You get to wear beige slacks and a blazer, and could spend your time making new regulations about UCI-sanctioned (i.e. boring, tedious) finish line celebrations.

Hi nice to meet you. I'm not sure I deserved that but if you were my son I'd teach you how to have a discussion without resorting to personal attacks. That was entirely unnecessary. I'm sure Sagan couldn't care less what I think, but I'm entitled to think it's childish. For what it's worth I wouldn't seek to impose any rules on finish line celebrations, I would hope that riders were adult enough to know what the limits should be and when they don't that their team has a word/instills discipline as has been done in the past.
    Correlation is not causation.
    Simon E wrote:

Hi nice to meet you. I'm not sure I deserved that but if you were my son I'd teach you how to have a discussion without resorting to personal attacks. That was entirely unnecessary. I'm sure Sagan couldn't care less what I think, but I'm entitled to think it's childish. For what it's worth I wouldn't seek to impose any rules on finish line celebrations, I would hope that riders were adult enough to know what the limits should be and when they don't that their team has a word/instills discipline as has been done in the past.

Serious question - what should the limits be, in your opinion?
  • thomthomthomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited March 2013
    Effing brilliant ride and I hope he provokes even more in his next salute.. Major kick in the face of whining Fabian.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 24,041
    Some one on twitter mentioned that it can't be disrespectful if none of the other riders are around to see it. Quite like that rule actually, if you re on your own then you can do Whatever you like, if there are others then you need to be more respectful! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

Showing respect to the race and the competitors and acting like a grown up professional that you are. I think pulling a wheelie, kissing your biceps, sucking a dummy etc are childish and disrespectful. Just like sticking two fingers up is disrespectful. That's how I feel about it. I'm not going to feel differently. It makes me dislike the man while maintaining huge respect for his massive talent. It's all a little immature alpha-male for me.
  • Any of the actual competitors complained?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighterfrenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Simon E wrote:

+1
    Contador is the Greatest
    @abovethecows - Presumably you didn't like super Mario either?
    @abovethecows - Presumably you didn't like super Mario either?

Not really no.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Showing respect to the race and the competitors and acting like a grown up professional that you are. I think pulling a wheelie, kissing your biceps, sucking a dummy etc are childish and disrespectful. Just like sticking two fingers up is disrespectful. That's how I feel about it. I'm not going to feel differently. It makes me dislike the man while maintaining huge respect for his massive talent. It's all a little immature alpha-male for me.

That's fair enough. Myself, I'm happy for a rider to show some emotion and enjoy a big win, but I can see why it could be seen as disrespectful. I would hope that if a rider celebrates like that, he's doing it through exuberance and not as a taunt to the other riders. I think Sagan's wheelie is the former. I like to see things like that, and the wheelie is a sort of trademark of his.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

Why/how are they disrespectful?

@gietvangent
    gw13-hesitate_zps08daad1f.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
    Any of the actual competitors complained?

So you're only allowed to have an opinion if you a) compete, b) the competitors have the same opinion?

I realise other people don't share my views that is fine, I defend your right to have them, I'd hope that others would accord me the same.
  • Johan Museeuw winning Roubaix and pointing to his leg?

Bartoli, I think it was, walking across the line holding up his bike?

Those ok by you?

@gietvangent
  • Any of the actual competitors complained?

So you're only allowed to have an opinion if you a) compete, b) the competitors have the same opinion?

I realise other people don't share my views that is fine, I defend your right to have them, I'd hope that others would accord me the same.

That wasn't directed at you. It was a genuine question.

Im absolutely fine with people disagreeing with me. I just like to understand their thinking

@gietvangent
    Ff's avatars should come with a spoiler warning.
    Ff's avatars should come with a spoiler warning.

Lol, I suppose that should be something I consider although I would award it to the person demonstrating the best in the race rather than the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
    Why/how are they disrespectful?

Winning is great. Winning is enough. I feel that showing off when winning is disrespectful. For me it cheapens the victory. I want to like Sagan, I think he is extremely talented but I just can't actually like him when he acts like that. He's the kind of guy you see all the time acting like a show-off in a bar and you just know to avoid them.

This may of course be because as a child I was taught this the hard way. I was grounded by my parents and suspended from the school team after I showed off after winning a cross country running race.
    I think with age he will stop that stuff.

tumblr_mk6cynNBBh1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mk6d12R5lj1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Why/how are they disrespectful?

Winning is great. Winning is enough. I feel that showing off when winning is disrespectful. For me it cheapens the victory. I want to like Sagan, I think he is extremely talented but I just can't actually like him when he acts like that. He's the kind of guy you see all the time acting like a show-off in a bar and you just know to avoid them.

This may of course be because as a child I was taught this the hard way. I was grounded by my parents and suspended from the school team after I showed off after winning a cross country running race.

Fair enough. For the record, im not a showy, demonstrative type. I just like to see people bring a bit of fun to a sport which can, at times, be a bit earnest.

@gietvangent