Giant Defy Sizing

Sim385
Sim385 Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hey Guys, I was hoping for some advice as I'm completely new into road bikes. I'm just a smidge under 6 foot and have an inside leg of 33.5 inches. Today I've put down a deposit on a Defy 3 Large and don't know if I've done the right thing.

With the M/L the reach to the handlebars is more comfortable but the saddle has to be very high because of long legs. Whereas with the L, the saddle is set at a more appropriate height but the reach to the handle bars is about an inch to far.

I've requested a Large and asked for a shorter stem and compact handle bars which do not extend as far forward as those that come with the bike. Do you reckon this will be sufficient for comfort while not affecting the ride too much? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm supposed to be picking the bike up next week. Thanks.

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    So on the L are your elbows locked straight when you're on the hoods? If so that's not a good thing at all. I've just had a bike fit, and was amazed that a 4mm difference in reach has made a colossal difference to comfort.

They achieved that by moving the saddle back 6mm and putting on a 90mm stem instead of the stock 100mm one.

Handling is virtually unchanged with the shorter stem. I can just about convince myself that it's slightly twitchier, but the difference is tiny if it's there at all. So I expect I'd have been ok with an 80mm stem too.

Don't know if that helps or not :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Sim385
    Sim385 Posts: 3
    My elbows would be locked straight on the L yeah, but im hoping the shorter stem and compact handle bars will help that. I've been into 3 bike stores, 1 has said an M/L would be better and 2 said the L. If I went by Giant's sizing chart it would be a M/L. Tough choice hey
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    It is a tough choice but you may be fine with a L.

I am 5ft 10in with 31/32 leg and I ride a M/L TCR which is longer top tube than the Defy.
    I also tried the Defy M/L and it felt fine for me, so L should be OK for you.

Like you, I didnt want a size down because the saddle was too high therefore less comfortable.

I also ordered the bike and was also fretting about my choice! but turned out all good in the end.
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    I'm just under 6'1" and I have a L Defy 4. I went for that as I have longish legs and a relatively short torso so I wanted the longer headtube to reduce the saddle to bar drop. If I was any shorter (or more flexible) I'd definitely have gone down to an M/L. I wouldn't worry about having lots of seatpost showing as long as you are comfortable with the saddle to bar drop. The more seatpost showing, the more it flexes and in theory the more comfortable it is. Also a smaller frame will be lighter
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm 6ft with a 33" inside leg and here is my defy: (saddle height 790mm centre BB- top saddle)

1819af68575d11e2b4ee22000a1fbe6d_7.jpg

Yes there is more saddle-bar drop but the reach on the large was just too much for me and I've progressed into a more aggressive position anyway.

I was having issues with bouncing due to the exposed seatpost when I bought my new saddle and had to raise the post another 3cm or so to accommodate the lower profile saddle. But I needed an inline seatpost anyway and got a Thomson elite which is plenty stiff enough to prevent bouncing.

and if the reach on the L is an inch too far then that's quite significant! I'd definitely have gone with the M/L - obviously it depends on your body, and if you can get comfortable on the bike.. but it sounds to me like the Defy is a less than ideal geometry for you and you probably should have looked elsewhere.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    5"10 and M/L for me. Slight elbow bend when on the hoods. not had a fitting yet but the bike feels comfortable to me. M/L allowed me to have not too much seat post showing and I do have quite long arms for my height. Otherwise would have definitely gone M. My advice would be M/L as it's easier to move the seat back a little than having a top tube that is a little long and therefore start messing around with shorter stems.

Have you actually been into the shop and sat on/ridden the various sizes or bought one online? My local LBS let me ride all the available options (TCR and Defy in various sizes) before making my decision. He also happens to be the cheapest seller of Giant I have found nationally. Live anywhere near Cambridge?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I'm 6ft with a 33" inside leg and here is my defy: (saddle height 790mm centre BB- top saddle)

1819af68575d11e2b4ee22000a1fbe6d_7.jpg

Yes there is more saddle-bar drop but the reach on the large was just too much for me and I've progressed into a more aggressive position anyway.

I was having issues with bouncing due to the exposed seatpost when I bought my new saddle and had to raise the post another 3cm or so to accommodate the lower profile saddle. But I needed an inline seatpost anyway and got a Thomson elite which is plenty stiff enough to prevent bouncing.

and if the reach on the L is an inch too far then that's quite significant! I'd definitely have gone with the M/L - obviously it depends on your body, and if you can get comfortable on the bike.. but it sounds to me like the Defy is a less than ideal geometry for you and you probably should have looked elsewhere.

Genius photograph!

Assuming the bricks are 8cm in height and the bike is fairly level,the drop from the middle of the saddle to the bars is just less than 2 bricks which is circa a 14 cm drop, it is fairly large but manageable. OP - assuming your saddle height is not as much as Ali (790mm is high for 33 inch inside leg) and you can flip the stem, you can make the drop more manageable.