New forks under £200

sprite1275
sprite1275 Posts: 157
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
IMAG1586_zpse7463a8e.jpg
IMAG0207.jpg

Just starting to get researching on forks so i know nothing about them. Ive had this bike for about 8/9 years and nothing has been changed on it apart from a new BB and tyres.
Thought it was time to spend a bit of money on it and get it back to a good working order. At the moment ive bought a
SRAM PG980 9 Speed MTB Cassette with a SRAM PC991 9 Speed Chain and also a Shimano XT Gear Cable Set to get the gears back to good working order.

The roxshox pilots i have are not holding the air that i put in and are just bottoming out all the time. I use this bike for commuting every day which depending which way i go can be roads or canal, i do go riding trails but not often.

I was thinking of maybe going for rigid forks and doing away with the hassel of maintaining suspension forks. i also thought i wouldnt get a decent pair of suspension forks for the £200 mark but ive seen another thread that has recommended some Rockshox Recon Gold TK Forks which come into my budget. They seem a decent price and im thinking of buying but can anyone tell me if they will fit my bike? Also are there any other forks better for my budget?

Specs for Rockshox Recon Gold TK

Travel: 100/120mm
Weight 1776g, * Weight based on 265mm 1 1/8" steerer, 9mm QR lower leg, Solo Air
Damping: Remote
Available Springs: Solo Air
Adjustments: External Rebound / Lockout, Spring via Air Pressure
Steerer Options: 1-1/8" aluminum
Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 Hollow Aluminum
Upper Tubes: 32mm 7000 Series Straight Wall Aluminum, Low Friction Anodized
Lowers: Magnesium, Post Disc Mount, Q/R or 15mm Axle
Options : PopLoc Remote included
Maximum Rotor Size: 210mm
Colour Options White, Black with Red graphics
26" Wheel Size

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, the old magnesium Zelos, bot seen one of those for a while!

The Recon Gold TK is a good fork, and the internals can even be upgraded ie to a better damper.

They will fit your bike - but you'd need a new adaptor for the brake.
  • sprite1275
    Yea its served me well this bike and I love riding it. Should feel great again after all these new shiny bits.

How much are the adapters? So you would recommend these forks for the budget? I'm a bit wary going for suspension again as the pilots have never really held the air that good, I've always had to top it up but it wasn't long until they were bobbing up and down again.

Are forks these days more robust?
  • supersonic
    These are a world away from pilots! Much better fork and very reliable.

Adaptor:

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product

But read it carefully - not all calipers will fit.
  • sprite1275
    Mmm that's a bit of a worry, wouldn't want to buy the forks for my brakes not to fit. Are the caliper fixing holes further apart on these forks then? Can't see where it tells you in the specs.
  • supersonic
    It's just that the caliper might foul the adaptor, is a tight a squeeze.

Using a 180mm adaptor and rotor will pose no problems.
  • sprite1275
    Probably a daft question but what does the Q/R or 15mm Axle mean? Does it mean any quick release wheel will work? i measured the the gap on the roxshox pilots where my wheel slides into and its about 10mm
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You're current fork/wheel will be QR as in quick release. The 15mm axle is a different standard and will require a new front wheel for it to fit (you'd need a 15mm hub, rather than a QR hub). The Recon Golds are brilliant forks btw (and I believe they only come in QR versions, may be wrong though)!
  • sprite1275
    Greer_ wrote:
    You're current fork/wheel will be QR as in quick release. The 15mm axle is a different standard and will require a new front wheel for it to fit (you'd need a 15mm hub, rather than a QR hub). The Recon Golds are brilliant forks btw (and I believe they only come in QR versions, may be wrong though)!

Thanks. I did figure it out and realized that the QR option is out of stock(merlincycles) and also more expensive :cry:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • sprite1275
    Think ill hold out for golds or maybe reba's. Wish I had a tapered frame as there seems some good deals on tapered forks.
  • sprite1275
    Ive took the plunge and bought the golds :D for £180 New i think there a bargain. Thanks for the advice.

The only problem now is there 15mm axle. Oooh maaan! that means ive got to buy new wheels :wink: can anyone recommend a new set of wheels with 15mm front and QR for the rear? 26", 9 cassette, 6bolt rotor.

budget £150
  • Greer_
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=536 or

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496 if you can push your budget up a wee bit. Well worth it IMO even though I had a bad experience with their customer service.
  • sprite1275
    Mmmm. Like the look of them but I'm not liking the reviews of people's experiences with superstar. Also build and quality issues.
  • Greer_
    Mine were fine after I sent them back, and spare bearings can be had for a few quid on eBay. Tbh, I wouldn't worry about it, the wheels are absolute bargains. A good LBS might come in handy at some point though.
  • sprite1275
    Well i was going to get the Flow On Switch EVO Hubs but there out of stock on the black :( I phoned and asked if the crest would take 2.5"tyres but they reckon no, only the flow would.

Dilemma, Do i get the white flow which i dont think will go with my bike,
    buy crest and get a set of new tyres(my michelins are only a few months old)
    Or look elsewhere?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sprite1275 wrote:
    Wish I had a tapered frame as there seems some good deals on tapered forks.
    Just to clarify, your frame would take tapered forks using an internal top bearing (same as you have in the top pic') and an external lower.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 wrote:
    Wish I had a tapered frame as there seems some good deals on tapered forks.
    Just to clarify, your frame would take tapered forks using an internal top bearing (same as you have in the top pic') and an external lower.

Oh right cheers, like i said i dont know much about them. Never mind, my golds came today and im well chuffed with them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Golds are good.......just for future ref!

Cost wise you'd have to be adding about £30 to the budget for the new lower headset part.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sprite1275
    Well ive gone and looked at my bike trying to weigh up if it will look decent with white rims and noticed my tyres are actually 26x2.30 not 2.5. :roll:

So do i go for the crest black or white flow :? Just a bit worried that the crests are more weak than the flow.
  • supersonic
    You don't need Flow on a magnesium XC bike, unless you are a very heavy rider!