MTB / Commuter for around £600. Help!

daitken92
daitken92 Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Okay so I need a daily commuter / something I can take through woodlands/rough tracks.

I shall be using it as a commuting bike for 90% of the time. However I would like to have the option to take it off road.

I have been looking at bikes with lockout suspension for better road use.

I've had my eye on the Trek 2013 4 series. The 4700 is £675. I'd probably get some slick MTB tires for daily use and then put the supplied ones back on if needed!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... 4700_disc/

I'm a noob when it comes to parts etc, what do people think of this bike?

Any suggestions for anything different? Slightly cheaper would be better! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's poor value I'm afraid....

Anything sub £600 your looking at Halfords (Carrera or Voodoo range) or Decathalon (RR 8.1 at £550 which is better than many £700 bikes and worth about £500 more than that trek).

Also try paulscycles websites for any current bargains.

Don't get too hung up on lockout, a decent fork with proper damping has much less need of it than a rubbish fork with no damping, not sure if that Trek has a damper or not, you only really need a lockout if your up out the saddle, sitting you won't notice much difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks! :D

I've been warned against bikes from Halfords?? You'd disagree then?. Just had a look at the Fury. Seems to be a well received bike!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfords sell some horrible bikes (Apollo) and some excellent value bikes - Boardman, Carrera and Voodoo.

I was warned against not talking to strangers, but then I would never have met 'uncle' Ernie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ha okay! Good point!

I've also had a look at a few specialized bikes. However it's only the higher end bikes that seem to get all the talk?

Any thoughts on their £600-700 bikes?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes - tat, a £600 Spesh is usually about as well equipped as a £350-370 Carrera Vulcan.

Carreras are good value, just ignore the sales/original prices.

For your budget I'd go with the Voodoo Hoodoo for something a bit 'burlier' or the RR8.1 (best VFM) from decathlon given it will be faster on the road. The Fury isn't quite as good as the Hoodoo in my opinion but far from being bad.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.