Second bike build - On One 456?

Woody80
Woody80 Posts: 324
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of building a second bike up, partly for fun as a project and partly because my Canyon Strive is overkill for any local trails as they are far too flat. Still an excellent bike but there's a time and a place.

So.....I thought a hardtail might be a good build for flatter terrain to get me out riding locally when there's not time to travel somewhere first. A 456 seemed like an obvious start point, cheap, rugged and flexible with fork choices. Ideally I'd have liked a frame where I could use my wheels but they're 20mm front and 142x12mm rear axle, is there a relatively cheap/good value frame that takes a 142x12?

Any thoughts or other suggestions would be welcome

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Can't think of any off the top of my head at that sort of price, but is your rear hub convertable to 135mm?
  • Woody80
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Can't think of any off the top of my head at that sort of price, but is your rear hub convertable to 135mm?
    Just checked and yes! I'll have a look at adapter kits.

What frames does that now open up. The 456 was just one I knew of as a mate bought one and it just seems a bargain. If I can use my wheels that means more can be spent on a frame instead if necessary.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Production Privee Shan can take a 142x12 afaik. The newer Cotic BFe's are a nice ride too, as is the Stanton Slackline.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sort of local trails, the 456 and others mentioned are all fairly hardcore HT's and from your original post it sounds like something more XC orientated would suite?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Woody80
    What sort of local trails, the 456 and others mentioned are all fairly hardcore HT's and from your original post it sounds like something more XC orientated would suite?

Local trails would only probably only be XC based, being in the Midlands there's not much gnar on the doorstep! I'd still be tempted though to build something a little more flexible/hardcore though for if I want to use it for a longer day out say in the peaks. I can use the Strive for that but sometimes I think something a little more climbing friendly would help. I could just get immensely fit but that takes away the excuse of buying another bike :D
  • Woody80
    lawman wrote:
    Production Privee Shan can take a 142x12 afaik. The newer Cotic BFe's are a nice ride too, as is the Stanton Slackline.
    I hadn't heard of the Shan before, nice looking frame that. Modular dropouts as well. They also do a Dukes of Hazzard style paintjob!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a Privee in the YMB forum if you search.

I'm Midlands based as well, so know what you mean, personally I'd look for either an XC bike or a more trail orinetated (say 120-130mm travel) and keeping it light, it will cope with fairly rugged terrain if you keep the approach under control while climbing well and coping fine locally. You could do that with a C456 rather than steel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    I've got a C456 and its a great little bike, I actually find the riding position of it more comfortable than my Mojo. Depending on how you build it you can easily go sub 25lbs and still have a pretty sturdy build.
  • Woody80
    lawman wrote:
    I've got a C456 and its a great little bike, I actually find the riding position of it more comfortable than my Mojo. Depending on how you build it you can easily go sub 25lbs and still have a pretty sturdy build.
    A C456 might be a good shout. Sturdy but flexible with fork length as well, was thinking 120mm might be a happy medium? What's your build like?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    C456 sounds ideal, maybe with a travel adjust fork: it is 2lbs lighter than the steel frame.
  • lawman
    Woody80 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    A C456 might be a good shout. Sturdy but flexible with fork length as well, was thinking 120mm might be a happy medium? What's your build like?

Ive got mine setup with a 140mm Revelation, I'll extend it to 150mm when I get the time. It's very slack which I like but being a hardtail its still very lively and flickable. I'm running 1x10 xt with superstar/stans crest wheels, easton 750mm bars and 55mm stem and a reverb, so barring differing forks its pretty much built like my Mojo. Its around 24/25lbs even with a dropper and was a shade under 24lbs with a standard post, its a very versatile bike.
  • Woody80
    Think I'm sold on a C456 then!
    Next up is fork recommendations then. I can step my front wheel down from 20mm to 15mm. Float 140, Talas for adjustability or a RS alternative? Have to confess I'm not hugely clued up on Rock Shox having run Fox offerings for the last few years
  • lawman
    Personally I'd say a fixed 140 or 150mm float, I prefer the way Fox forks feel and I think the damper is superb and having now tried it the CTD system isn't as bad as people make out, middle trail setting all the time and it was great. Tbh you can't go wrong with either a 32 or a revelation both good forks but as I say personally the Fox forks have the better damper and mine have been more reliable than the revelations I have.
  • supersonic
    if the middle setting suits you. If it doesn't... ;-)
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    if the middle setting suits you. If it doesn't... ;-)

Find a 2012 RLC :lol:
  • supersonic
    The FIT RLC is the pinnacle of the Fox forks for me. (for the 32).
  • Woody80
    supersonic wrote:
    The FIT RLC is the pinnacle of the Fox forks for me. (for the 32).
    I had a 32 Vanilla FIT RLC and it was superb. Currently got a 36 FIT RLC and that's also great. What's the likelihood of getting hold of a new RLC rather than CTD? Old stock?
  • supersonic
    Aye, old stock. The CTD TA has replaced the RLC.
  • lawman
    Personally I really hope they put the RLC damper into the 34 would be an awesome fork! The RLC damper is by far the best I've tried of any trail fork, it is very very good.
  • supersonic
    I hope they do - but Fox seem set to continue with CTD.

Maybe RC2? I hear Fox's testing of the 34 160 chassis shows it to be almost the same stiffness as the 36 160 chassis. Wonder if they will replace it with the 34, but keep the RC2 damper?
  • lawman
    Possibly, i suppose they would then have a platform for each amount of travel they currently offer - 32 for 80-140mm 34 upto 160, 36 170-180 and 40 for 200mm. would make things less confusing, the current 36 160 is in no mans land kind of, but if they dropped it alot of people would go ape, as it's still a popular fork.
  • Woody80
    Adapters are definitely available for my wheels although pricey at £27.99 per wheel. Cheaper than even a cheap set of hoops though. Some bargain 2012 FIT RLC forks on CRC as well at the moment. 120mm Floats with Kashima for less than £400 and 150mm Talas for £450. Will a C456 take a straight 1.5in steerer? I've dropped them an email to check - the Talas baragin is 1.5in only.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I'm selling my C.456 at the moment including a Hope headset, it's on eBay, just if you're interested, possible bargain, there's no reserve.... I'm only selling as I'm building a 29er.
    I'm also going to be selling a set of Hope Hoops (Pro2 Evo with Stans Flows - hardly used, almost brand new) if you are also interested let me know as I'd like them to go to a good home :)