All Round Wheels under £1000

drjs83
drjs83 Posts: 14
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all...

I'm looking for a good set of all-round wheels for under £1000. I currently ride on Mavic Cosmic SLs but find them to be a tad sluggish on the hills. Maybe I'm just sluggish on the hills!

I was looking at the new Mavic Ksyrium SLS but would appreciate a few alternatives. Anyone have the Ksyriums that would recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Spikeoz
    Spikeoz Posts: 10
    Wheels generaly are round, LOL

For under that price i like Fulcrum Brand wheels like the Fulcrum Racing Zero's or One's, but then it comes down to personnel prefernces i guess
  • I like the look of the fulcrum dark label but have no experience of them.

Bit a lack of feedback here. If it was a £300 wheel thread you'd have a dozen replies by now.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Aren't all round wheels actually balls? :-)

At that price the world is your lobster...something nice and hand built perhaps?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Purpose? Racing, sportive etc.?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Cafe stops?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    There are the obvious factory built options - but at that budget, why not contact a wheelbuilder and tell them exactly what you are looking for - They could probably spec you up with an ideal wheelset for much less than £1000.
  • drjs83
    drjs83 Posts: 14
    The dream would be Zipp 202 Clinchers.

Not too deep, bit of aero advantage and wont be sluggish on a hill. Too much £££££.

I ride sportives mostly, 80-100 miles when I can, but the cosmics just feel a bit unresponsive on the hills. They are great on the flats and undulating roads are no problem if I have some forward momentum. But when I need to get out of the saddle they aren't as sharp as I'd like.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Go hand built. Much better bang for your buck.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Stick with the cosmics and spend some of the grand on some coaching, or some sort of power monitor so you can identify any perceived or not weakness.

If you're dead set on wheels, dura ace c35s
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    there's some zipp 101s for £500 in the classifieds
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    pkripper wrote:
    Stick with the cosmics and spend some of the grand on some coaching, or some sort of power monitor so you can identify any perceived or not weakness.

If you're dead set on wheels, dura ace c35s
    My 50mm carbon wheels had a PowerTap rear hub and came in at around a grand. I didn't use it properly last year but now that I'm training properly for 3rd cat racing its starting to become the best money I've spent on the bike.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    I'm now running Mavic SLS wheels. Great wheel. Bike feels sharp, handles great and stiffness inspires confidence to throw the bike around. Climb well, Ride seems nice to me, some say harsh, I don't feel it. they even sound great when your push on too! Make me smile!
    I don't like the cartridge bearings, and would prefer a quieter free hub. I'm not heavy but Dura ace wheels flex dulled the bikes handling. Never tried zipps