Fulcrum 3, two way fit, problem

Dobbo27
Dobbo27 Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Workshop
I recently bought a pair of Fulcrum 3, two way fit racing wheels. They looked very nice out of the box, however the problems started when I tried to ride them as standard clinchers.
I fitted Continental GP4000s tyres and continental innertubes from my old wheels. A few days after fitting them they were flat.
I took them out, looked them over, put them in water and could see tiny tiny bubbles from the seam.
Thinking that I must have messed up I studied the manual, removed the rim tape, soaped the tyres and fitted two new innertubes. This time they were flat after c. 1 week.
I took them to a local bike shop and they replaced the inner tubes. This time they were still losing air but not so quickly so I used them on the turbo trainer for 2* 1 hr sessions. I came to do a third and found that tyre was flat and tube would no hold air.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Comments

• maybe it's time to go tubeless?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2013
    If you're running clincher tyres and they are flat, then that is because the innertube has lost air.

The problem is solely with the innertube. Granted, poor installation can lead to pinching the innertube between the tyre and the rim OR causing damage to the tube against the spoke holes - both of these will lead to putting holes in the innertube and a subsequent loss of air.

Or the valve on the innertube may be faulty.

Unless I have misunderstood your post, the fact the wheels are 2-way fit should not impact the various ways in which an innertube can be caused to lose air.

There will always be bubbles collecting at the seam (of the innertube): the relief of the seam against the smooth surface of the rest of the innertube is where oxygen (from the water and not from inside the innertube) will collect.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    There is something piercing your tubes... maybe you need a different/wider rim tape... maybe the one you have is meant for tubeless... just get a roll of Velox 16 mm tape per wheel and you'll be fine
    4 quid fix...
    left the forum March 2023
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    There is something piercing your tubes... maybe you need a different/wider rim tape... maybe the one you have is meant for tubeless... just get a roll of Velox 16 mm tape per wheel and you'll be fine
    4 quid fix...

It can't be the spokes piercing the tube, as the rim bed is not drilled on these. No rim tape needed

RacZero2WF_2013_profile1354618566.jpg
    Alex
  • Dobbo27
    Dobbo27 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses.
    Chris - I thought the same about going tubeless but I would still look to carry an inner tube as back up so need to sort out the problem.
    Ben - absolutely agree that the problem must be with the inner tubes. I mentioned that the wheels are 2 way as being two way wheels the tubes seem to be put under more pressure as the tyres inflate and pop as they attach to the rim. I was wondering if the additional pressure could cause the problem.
    Interesting point regarding the bubbles on the seem. In that case I could see no hole in the tubes that I looked at.
    I would be surprised if it was a problem with the valves as I tried 6 tubes, not all of the same make.
    Similarly I could imagine botching 1 or 2 tubes but I was super careful when fitting 3&4 and had 5&6 fitted by a shop.
    Ugo - Alex is right, you don't need rim tape. Despite that I used new rim tape on tubes 1&2 and they still went flat.

Has anyone used these wheels with inner tubes without any problems?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dobbo27 wrote:
    Ben - absolutely agree that the problem must be with the inner tubes. I mentioned that the wheels are 2 way as being two way wheels the tubes seem to be put under more pressure as the tyres inflate and pop as they attach to the rim. I was wondering if the additional pressure could cause the problem.
    Interesting point regarding the bubbles on the seem.

I have a pair of Campagnolo Khamsin wheels on my winter bike. They're 2-way fit and I use them as clinchers - I'll be honest, I haven't noticed how the tyre 'pops' onto the rim to be any different to the 'normal' clinchers on my Sunday Best.

O2 from the water collecting at the seam (just a bit of Physics, which I can't explain!) aside, are you absolutely sure there are no holes in the flat innertubes? Fill tme up and feel for the air subsequently escaping. The location of the hole will give you a big clue as to the problem.

If no air escapes, then that's really confusing! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd suspect something embedded in the tyre - something like a piece of wire that only pierces the tyre when under pressure.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I agree with Monty

And if you can find where the hole in the tube is, it'll narrow-down which bit of tyre you need to look at