Red v force

1_reaper
1_reaper Posts: 322
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi. I currently using SRAM red and its time for another sprocket change. I'm wondering if I'm going to lose out weight wise and performance wise fitting a force cassette instead of red? Thanks

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited March 2013
    Well the Force is a bit heavier - but i would very much doubt you will notice once on the bike. You will notice the extra weight in your wallet from the extra cash though!! :)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I have full SRAM on the summer bike but changed the cassette & for the money didn't go with Red don't notice any difference TBH. Is cheaper but only marginally heavier, guess it depends is you can justify the extra cost.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Thanks for the heads up. Force it is
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Does anyone happen to know the groupset weight of SRAM Force?
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    http://www.totalcycling.com/component-weights.html

If you cant be bothered to read its 2013g bb30 and 2107g GXP. Cassette size, crank arm length, 110 or 130bcd, braze or band on front mech will effect weight.

These guys weights seem fairly accurate. Otherwise check weight weenies.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    ellj22 wrote:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/component-weights.html

If you cant be bothered to read its 2013g bb30 and 2107g GXP. Cassette size, crank arm length, 110 or 130bcd, braze or band on front mech will effect weight.

These guys weights seem fairly accurate. Otherwise check weight weenies.

The SRAM Red groupo is about 1600-1700ish so I suppose a weight saving of about 400g for half the price. Still quite a lot of weight, mind you.
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Gabbo,

Just Googled the Sram 2013 weight. This is pretty interesting
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/09/new ... all-notes/

thats a sub 200g saving.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I changed my old Red cassette for a SRAM Force PG1070 cassette and the shifting is much smoother and quieter.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    shifting etc should be fine, I think the only thing that you may notice is a bit more munching of the freehub body due to different internal profile.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I would go with force for an item that wears like a cassette - that is what I currently do.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    pkripper wrote:
    shifting etc should be fine, I think the only thing that you may notice is a bit more munching of the freehub body due to different internal profile.

??? Both fit the freehub perfectly. When torqued up, the individual cogs do not move around.

The Force cassette is 55g heavier but is much, much quieter. My last bike had a Force cassette and there was no sign of wear after 3 years and many thousands of miles. The gear changes are just lovely.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro