Afan - what's open, what's not!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited March 2013 in Routes
Hello :D

Off to Afan at the weekend and just wanted to check the recent 'changes'. I assume Whites, Skyline and the Wall are still open as usual? Has Penhydd re-opened (and what is it now?)? And there is a new jumpy / skills bit I think? anything else that has appeared over the past few months?

I've ridden there loads but not since the end of last year - I understand a few new bits have opened since then!

Cheers!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    Hello :D

Off to Afan at the weekend and just wanted to check the recent 'changes'. I assume Whites, Skyline and the Wall are still open as usual? Has Penhydd re-opened (and what is it now?)? And there is a new jumpy / skills bit I think? anything else that has appeared over the past few months?

I've ridden there loads but not since the end of last year - I understand a few new bits have opened since then!

Cheers!

yes, but i think i read somewhere that whites climb has a diversion in it, not sure about that though.

no penhydd isn't open yet, supposed to be in july i believe.

the new jumpy, bike park bit is just off the wall, next to bryn bettws lodges, just before the final descents. imo it's worth doing this seperately though as i sepent a good few hours just playing there :D
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My front door.... :P

Back on track there is a steep climb diversion on whytes currently, Wall is all open and there are some on skyline but to be honest there an improvement :)
  • miss notax
    Thanks guys.... :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Isn't it the first round of the 2013 Gravity Enduro series there this weekend coming (23rd-24th)? Pretty sure it is.. if that's the case lots of the riding will be closed for general riding.. unless of course you've entered Miss Notax!!?? ;-)

kathg
  • welshkev
    kathg wrote:
    Isn't it the first round of the 2013 Gravity Enduro series there this weekend coming (23rd-24th)? Pretty sure it is.. if that's the case lots of the riding will be closed for general riding.. unless of course you've entered Miss Notax!!?? ;-)

kathg

good point, yes it is and they'll be using parts of the trails
  • miss notax
    Yes, you are quite right Kath! Seemingly this is being held at the Bike Park, so i'm hoping that by avoiding this we should be ok (I know there will be some disruption) :D

• welshkev
    http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/wp-conte ... te-Map.jpg

a map of what they're using, looks to be more than the bike park.
  • miss notax
    Right - does anyone know if the usual trails (Whites / Skyline) are going to be rideable this weekend in light of the enduro? I assume The Wall will be as it's over the other side?

I've had a look on the trail 'updates' and none of them mention that the trails are out of action this weekend due to the enduro - i'm not sure whether they would anyway, but thought it would be a sensible place to start!!

Cheers :D

• Thewaylander
    Try asking on the skyline cycles Facebook page lass,

there good boys and will know.
  • miss notax
    I gave them a call at lunchtime actually - great minds think alike :lol:

The answer appears to be that the trails are open, although a few parts of them (and the bike park) will be used for the enduro. I am assuming there will be diversions in place around these - guess i'll see on Saturday!!

My plan is to ride Skyline Sat afternoon and Whites / The Wall Sunday. In the snow apparently :shock:

• Thewaylander
    Not coming to Cwm :(
  • miss notax
    Not with gravelled over descents!!! :wink:

(Actually will be there in a few weeks time with a couple of not-too-experienced mtbing buddies. Not girlies mind, well, one girl and the other one is her husband!) 8)

• welshkev
    I'm off to UK bike park this weekend otherwise we may have tagged along at afan sunday :)
  • Thewaylander
    miss notax wrote:
    Not with gravelled over descents!!! :wink:

(Actually will be there in a few weeks time with a couple of not-too-experienced mtbing buddies. Not girlies mind, well, one girl and the other one is her husband!) 8)

Last two are still fine, and will try and get fit so i can follow with out you noticing :p
  • miss notax
    welshkev wrote:
    I'm off to UK bike park this weekend otherwise we may have tagged along at afan sunday :)

Next time :D

UKBP is really good fun - very friendly place! Just take care on the black runs if it's wet (as it probably will be :? ) as it's on a chalk surface and uber-slippery! I stopped and literally couldn't stand up on the trail, and getting started again was a nightmare. Moral of the story being - don't stop :lol:

• welshkev
    miss notax wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Next time :D

UKBP is really good fun - very friendly place! Just take care on the black runs if it's wet (as it probably will be :? ) as it's on a chalk surface and uber-slippery! I stopped and literally couldn't stand up on the trail, and getting started again was a nightmare. Moral of the story being - don't stop :lol:

Cheers for that. How do the trails compare to FoD or Cwmcarn?
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    We were up there the weekend before last - all of W2 was open. The diverted climb at the start of WL was very muddy and slippery and there were one or two sections on YW which were slippery where they've been repaired.

Other than that it wasn't too bad.. the 'new' climb up from the Afan Visitor Centre was a pleasant surprise too (think it's the old descent?).
  • miss notax
    Brilliant - thanks frogstomp :D

welshkev - in my humble opinion UKBP is more smooth and jumpy than CC / FOD, rather than rooty / rocky techy stuff. I enjoyed it as something a bit different. There a few jumps on the black runs that were definitely out of my league mind (there are chicken runs) - more for rubbery 14 year old that bounce than more mature folk with mortgages!! At one point I was thinking it didn't look too bad and had a peer over the top - it looked worse :lol: There's also some crazy start platform thing at the top which looked simply terrifying to me!!

Probably the friendliest place i've ever ridden though - had all tyes of folk from proper fabulous aforementioned 14 year old to much older guys on xc bikes pottering down walking over the tricky bits (and everything inbetween) and everyone was lovely and friendly :D

• Thewaylander
    yeh but people are like that to nice ladies everywhere, scruffy welsh blokes are greeted much less well lol.

Need to find the parking the new jumpy bit and hang out there one of these weekends.
  • welshkev
    yeh but people are like that to nice ladies everywhere, scruffy welsh blokes are greeted much less well lol.

Need to find the parking the new jumpy bit and hang out there one of these weekends.

hey, i'm not scruffy. i've even bought a new jersey for the occasion lol.

cheers miss notax 8) i'm still thinking which bike to take, the stiffee or the big hit :? i think i'll go with the big hit though
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    The best section over there 'Windy Point' on Whites Level is being used for the enduro so that is closed. The bike park is being used and so it the 4x track.