insurance claim arrived stay with giant or look elsewhere?

drexle
drexle Posts: 24
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
My giant Talon 0 was stolen over new year and the insurance money has arrived. I was 99% sure that when it did i was going to get the same bike but this years model. I have seen other bikes that cost less than what the claim is paying and have not really considered other makes seriously yet. Any help would be much appreciated. My heart says stick with the talon but my head says maybe try something else.

Comments

• 29'r?

It's hard to answer your question since you didn't specify what you specifically liked about your old Talon. If my vintage giant roadbike were to be stolen I'd try to get the same frame, same color since I'm just so used to seeing it I wouldn't want to miss it. But If this sentiment doesn't apply to you it wouldn't harm to scan the market for something you may like as well. German brand Cube makes some nice bikes in that category as well as dutch brand Koga but I don't know if any of your lbs stocks those. My advice be don't buy online unless it's exactly the same bike you used to own.

good luck!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Most insurance companies only let you buy through selected companies so id narrow down your choice to the bikes they stock first.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tarbot18 wrote:
    Most insurance companies only let you buy through selected companies so id narrow down your choice to the bikes they stock first.
    Except he says the money has arrived so...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Start by listing what kinda riding you do, budget and if there are any particular features or traits in the bike you must have.

I'm sure the forum collective can come up with some options for you.
  • drexle
    drexle Posts: 24
    yeah thanks for the reply from everyone, i wasnt very specific about spec and type of riding i do so this might narrow it down a bit more. I owned a hardtail mountain bike and used it for commuting and trail riding it was my first decent bike, i dont know if i should stay with a hardtail or go full suspension. ive got about £1000 to spend and have been to my local specialized shop but nothing lept out at me.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    what about last year model bikes they can be had a fair bit cheaper
    Certini in Plymouth usually have a good sale here is a few full suss around £1000
    http://www.certini.co.uk/Home-BIKE-SALE ... p8890.html
    http://www.certini.co.uk/Home-BIKE-SALE ... 10940.html\
    just a couple of options for you :)
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If the bike is going to be used for regular commuting then I'd recommend a hardtail. You will also get pretty well spec'd hardtail for £1000 but a low to mid range full sus for that amount of money.

What kinda of riding do you do? Is it XC or are you super gnar freerider. I'm guessing its the first one form your previous choice of bike?