Campagnolo Compatible Brake Pads in Shimano Brake Shoes?

neil.s
neil.s Posts: 123
edited March 2013 in Workshop
I have a spare set of Swissstop brake pads, in Campag flava, but I have Shitmano calipers on my commuting bike (deep drop calipers). I need to replace the pads soon as the Shitmano ones are getting very worn. My question, rather than wasting the Campag Swissstops, can I squeeze them in the Shitmano brake shoes and, more importantly, will I die??!! :shock:

Just looking at saving a few quid. I had Campag calipers on a previous frame but have had to switch to deep-drop calipers on my new frame. I'd rather not have to sell the pads and loose a fair few quid OR buy Campag compatible brake shoes.

I can be a bit 'tight' when I feel like it :wink:

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They are a different profile so unlikely to fit - more importantly would you want to risk losing a brake pad?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They won't fit but I've gone the other way and fitted Shimano style cartridges onto Campag brakes. The Cartridges were very cheap (£6.20 a pair including pads) and work fine. All you need is Campag style cartridges for fitting to Shimano brakes - assuming they are made.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Rolf F wrote:
    All you need is Campag style cartridges for fitting to Shimano brakes - assuming they are made.

Surely better to sell on the wrong Campag ones though - and buy the correct Shimano ones rather than forking out for cartridges that will only get used for the one set of pads.

Cut your losses, sell them on here, and buy the correct set. Really wouldnt want to bodge a set of wrong pads into the wrong holders - the consequences could be fatal if they come out :cry:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    All you need is Campag style cartridges for fitting to Shimano brakes - assuming they are made.

Surely better to sell on the wrong Campag ones though - and buy the correct Shimano ones rather than forking out for cartridges that will only get used for the one set of pads.

Well OP could just keep using Campag sort but no, you are right. I only tried the Shimano style because I thought it would be easier to get the pads out for cleaning without taking the cartridge off. But I was wrong! I may go back if cunning plans to try to keep the little screws from siezing don't work!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Thanks for the replies chaps. I think it best just to sell on the Campag pads and buy Shimano compatible ones instead. Rather than trying to bodge a fix if only to save a couple of quid.

Cheers :wink:

Neil