Dual sided SPD/flat pedals?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm doing the C2C in may, and would like some new SPD pedals to do it.

Got SPD's on my road bike and love them, but my toes start to go numb after a couple of hours, so I'd like the option of flipping to flats for a couple of miles when this happens.

Ideally, I'd like something with some pins for grip, but I haven't found any of that type yet, any recommendations please?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't see how duel siders will help as you won't change your shoes?
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Don't think there's anything available with pins on the non clipped side.

Since you'll ideally want different shoes to to ride the non clipped side, can't you just pack some flats too for if you feel the need to switch?

Or get some SPD shoes that don't cramp your toes ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yes the sensible solution would be to buy shoes that actually fit...

That has nothing at all to do with SPD/flats.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worst of both worlds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • broona
    My shoes fit perfectly, and are waterproof MTB clipless shoes with a Vibram sole for walking in, so they'd have plenty of grip on flat pedals too.

The pedals would be one use only, to do the C2C, but I may try adjusting the pedals/cleats for the thousandth time, see if I can make them any better!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    From what's been said, it sounds like a shoe issue. I honestly doubt it'll be the pedals that are making your toes go numb - usually it's the shoe impinging on something it shouldn't, or letting the foot bend it ways it doesn't like (spd shoes need to be quite stiff).

Have you tried a long ride with flats and the same shoes?

As for the combination pedals - they're usually a pretty poor compromise, as Cooldad points out. There's been a couple of threads on the subject and everytime it's the same answer.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    They're good for a commuter bike that you ride with your regular shoes during the week, and swap to SPD shoes for the weekend. For anything else I'd put up with swapping pedals occasionally. And as the others have said - SPD shouldn't make your toes go numb.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    broona wrote:
    My shoes fit perfectly, and are waterproof MTB clipless shoes with a Vibram sole for walking in, so they'd have plenty of grip on flat pedals too.

The pedals would be one use only, to do the C2C, but I may try adjusting the pedals/cleats for the thousandth time, see if I can make them any better!
    and that is the problem the soles are to flexy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i have dual sided flats and some of my mates have spds on both sides of theres :lol:
    what are brakes for again
  • broona
    nicklouse wrote:
    and that is the problem the soles are to flexy.

Quite possibly then, these are the ones I've got - http://www.spiuk.com/ing/site/producto-ficha.asp?id=575