Maxxis Ardent DH

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about a summer tyre for the rear of my Canyon, anyone got any opinion on the Ardent?

Suposed to be faster rolling than a HR or Minion I think.

Thinking Ardent rear and Minion ST front...

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I had the ardent on front crossmark on the back. Was more than happy. Super fast rolling and no front washouts.
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are fine on dry trails. Can't remember the last time I saw a dry trail though.
  • Welsh trails (trail centres) are very well drained and run on bedrock, so ride pretty much "dry" 90% of the time anyway!

But, this is for summer anyways... looking for cheap tyres!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I rode a few bikes at cannock with Ardents on what were astonishingly dry trails for this time of year and they were very good, not too sure what they'd be like in mud but for centres I imagine they'd be an awesome tyre.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Well impressed with mine, plenty of grip in the dry and still good in the wet
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Are they cheaper than a HR? I find them hard to beat and the 60a isn't that draggy IMHO.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm a bit late to this so you've probably sorted yourself out already but here's my take on them anyway.

They're alright, nothing special but they get the job done just fine. Last a long time and have a reasonable amount of grip on dry or wet hardpack trails and even do alright over wet roots and rocks. They're pretty crap in mud though, they're manageable but if you have the option of a grippier tyre then use it but obviously you aren't wanting them for mud so that's ok. They are definitely fast though but can let go, not suddenly, but you have to be quite lucky to pull it back in time. Overall, it's a good rear tyre but I would never use one on the front of a DH bike.

However, take a look at On One, they were selling Schwalbe's off pretty cheap. I just got a Muddy Mary Trailstar 2.5 for £20 and a 2.4 Trailstar Big Betty for for £13.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    They're good tyres for leaning. Work well in the dry and not too bad when its a bit wet.

Hopeless on roots and mud, and when its really wet.