New Fork and Wheels

FR0STY
FR0STY Posts: 31
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a new fork and wheelset on a budget.

The fork I currently have is a RST Omega T6 which is quite heavy and doesn't really understand the concept of dampening and motion control....

I'm not bothered about poploc or lockout that much. I don't think I have ever bottomed out my current fork and I weigh just over 10 stone or 65kg. The sort of riding I like to do is around Cannock Chase walk the dogg/monkey trail so 100mm travel should be plenty I would think.

I've seen this which looks quite reasonable

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-recon-silver-tk-crown-lockout-2013.html

I have cheap POS wheels at the moment.

What I have seen so far is Mavic Crossride which look quite nice which I should be able to get for £140 or a set of Merlin Cycles built wheels XT hubs/Mavic XM317 rims which are about £147 I think.

I'm open to advice about these ones or other options.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a great fork for the money, if a little weighty. I assume your budget is around £300? Is worth considering this combo:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=536

and

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html

IE a 15mm axled set up.
  • FR0STY
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes that is roughly my budget.

How does that wheel set compare to the ones I suggested.

Am I right in thinking that the fork you mentioned is solo air apart from the weight how much difference would I notice compared to the one I suggested?
  • supersonic
    The damper is the same in both forks, but the beauty with the Recon Gold is that it can be upgraded to Motion Control at a later date, giving you flexibilty. The fork is also torsionally stiffer, but not all notice that. And of course easier to set to your weight with a shock pump.

The wheels are a little heavier, by about 100g, but the fork is 500g lighter (Merlin have the wrong weight on the Silver TK coil), so is a big saving overall. The wheels will perform similarly on the trail: are easier to get spares for too.

Overall for the extra i think is well worth it.
  • FR0STY
    I did try and google this to find a bit about upgrading to motion control and the difference between them but didn't find much. So I was wondering if you would mind giving me your thoughts on how much it would cost to do the motion control upgrade which I assume is no harder than servicing the damper but switching the part instead? Secondly how much difference would I notice on the ride?
  • supersonic
    The Turnkey 'damper' is just a lockout ie on or off. When off the fork is quite lively - motion control allows you to precisely set the level of low speed damping, from fully active to fully locked, and anywhere in between.

It is a case of removing one, inserting the other (and checking oil levels).
  • FR0STY
    If I buy an air fork I would also have to buy a shock pump as well right?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Probably, some come with, most don't