Does Bottom Bracket influence your purchase?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
I recently read an article on the variety of bottom brackets and their pros & cons. A lot of the readers comments were of the opinion that it was all marketing and pointed to the fact that no manufacturers release verifiable data on the claimed effects of their chosen bottom bracket and also that track riders, who generate big power, are still happy using a relatively old bottom bracket standard.

So I wanted to know if given two similarly equipped bikes which differed only in their bottom brackets, which would you chose and why?

Alternatively, everything else being equal, rank these BB standards in order of preference:

• Conventional threaded
  • BB90/BB95
  • PF86/92
  • BB30
  • PF30
  • BBright
  • BB386 EVO

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I wouldn't buy another frame with a BB30 BB, a wet weather liability. Frames good though, pity it's my winter bike.
  • AlahDamIt
    AlahDamIt Posts: 44
    Yep

I just could not bring my self to get a press fit I've just read to must on them , Bianchi Infeneto arrived today 2012 saved £1000 on the 2013 price, I had spent weeks looking at the something with bb I trusted and the rest of the right gear to compliment. This is just my opinion though. Only ever hear one with issues though so they can't be that bad can they.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It didn't but it would again. The BMC has a BB30 BB but with an insert to convert it to HTII. The insert has to be bonded in with loctite retaining compound (can't remember which number it was off the top of my head) andit creaked like hell for the first 1000 km. I was very close to driving up to Grenchen and dumping the bike by BMC's front door. Rather unsurprisingly, the 2012 model did away with BB30!
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    I bought the Boardman Team Carbon with GXP BB rather than the Team Carbon Pro with BB30 because I like the option to be able to ride when the roads are wet! and should the BB need changing it's simple.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I have bikes with threaded and BB30 and imo the frame design and material has more influence the actual stiffness in that area rather than the BB system itself.

My steel bike (threaded obvs) feels like I'm pedaling through treacle compared to both my aluminium bikes which both have threaded and BB30 BBs.

I'll' stick with BB30 or similar for the future as its easier to service and the bearings are dirt cheap. Loctite and plenty of grease and theyre good to go.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Ok, with BB30 the drive side bearings do get gritty quickly. However there are 2 pretty easy solutions. Yes they cost money, this is cycling after all not knitting and everything costs money.

a) I paid £70 for a ceramic bearing set and replaced my shot DS bearings 1/2 way through the '12/'13 cross season with 1 ceramic set and have been happy ever since. When you purchase it, the balls need to be ceramic. Only my DS needed the new set so I can run the 1 ceramic until it goes and replace. It'll probably last the summer and the acid test will be next cross season assuming it's as wet as the last.

b) Go to Lidl and get their silicon spray and with your bike standing upright on the ground (with newspapers on the floor) give a good 5-second shot of silicone spray into to the DS bearing while slowly turning the cranks. This flushes out the gunk and gives some lube. It's helped the squeaking to go away.

Sounds like a faff but it's worth it. The BB30 frame I have is stiffer than my Cervelo R3SL and the Force crank is only 650 grams so is much lighter than my DA 7900. It's not a massive price to pay. You just need to give it more love.

If you don't enjoy bearing upkeep, a BSA 68mm shell with Hope ceramic BB is about as anti-maintenance as you can get!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    schweiz wrote:
    It didn't but it would again. The BMC has a BB30 BB but with an insert to convert it to HTII. The insert has to be bonded in with loctite retaining compound (can't remember which number it was off the top of my head) andit creaked like hell for the first 1000 km. I was very close to driving up to Grenchen and dumping the bike by BMC's front door. Rather unsurprisingly, the 2012 model did away with BB30!

Bad luck there. The later model with BB86 has been fine for me so far, no creaking or problems with longevity so far.

I would not buy a BB30 equipped bike. I am generally very disappointed with the quality and durability of modern style bearings. The Easton freehub on my BMC seized after just one wet ride. rubbush.