Replacement for Pikes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
My old Pikes are getting a bit tired so I'm looking at replacements. If Rockshox still made Pikes I would have a set but they dont.
The closest to my dual air u-turn forks seem to be Revelations but they used to be a lighter but less stiff fork. Are the latest Revs as stiff and reliable as Pikes? I want a fork which will take a battering. Budget is around £400.
They need to have a straight 1 1/8" steerer, have 140mm travel and 20mm maxle and will be going on my 456SS frame.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Don't have a clue about the new Rock Shox forks, most seem to have funny shaped steerers and 150 or 120mm of travel.

You could get your Pikes serviced and tuned for alot less than £400 though. Infact you could probably buy some more 2nd hand pikes (if yours are fucked) and get the work done and still spend less than you would on new forks.

Try Loco Tuning or TF Tuning, I think you can get them "push" tuned, or have some sort of fancy new damping cartridge fitted, either will be an improvement over the standar Moco.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They have been push tuned and they used to be great, best xc fork I have owned. The bushes are worn and the compression damper is blown so getting them back to how they once were is going to cost around £200
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Revs - as reliable? Yes. As stiff? No.

I don't think you'll find much in a 32mm leg that is as stiff as a Pike (Magura Thor?). The Rev is pretty close though and the latest dampers are really noticably better. I went from the same Pike as you to a Sektor with Rev dampers in (to keep the 20mm axle) and I'd say you get over it being slightly less stiff, and the improved damping also makes up for it. In terms of stiffness, I think it's mostly fore-and-aft that is worse, but the improved dual-flow damping does a good job of keeping the front controlled anyway.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    They have been push tuned and they used to be great, best xc fork I have owned. The bushes are worn and the compression damper is blown so getting them back to how they once were is going to cost around £200

Its funny, I don't know why Rock Shox stopped making Pikes. Probably the best forks they've ever produced. Pretty much ideal for any sort of bike that you'd want to use as an "all rounder".

There was a German store selling those maguras very cheap, dont know whether they still are? Could be worth a look, I'm fairly sure they have long servicing intervals on them, so you'll be able to get away with neglecting them for a while!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Personally I'd find out if you can fit the modern dampers to your pikes and get them rebuilt. The revelation isn't nearly as stiff, I suppose the equivalent in terms of burliness is the argyle RCT but you don't get any travel adjust.

Personally I'd get some custom argyles built up if you want the burliness of the pikes with the internals from a rev (dna damper and a DPA spring)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats not a bad idea using the Argyle chassis wth Rev internals. The standard Argyle dampers have bugger all small bump sensitivity.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yeah, you'll need to get your tame lbs to put a call into sram tech to see what can be done. If you're struggling pm me and I'll ask them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can find out that, I know a person who has contacts!
    I'm thinking now that maybe it would be just as worthwhile sticking with the Pike chassis and seeing if I can get revelation dampers fitted and some new bushes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    unlikely they will fit. pre 2009 parts are generally not compatible with post 2009.

and other bits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wasn't aware the RCT had a firmer compression tune than standard.