Strava & Bike Thefts linked???

danlikesbikes
danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
edited January 2014 in Road general
Just catching up on my cycling news & saw this link - http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crim ... echnology/

Kind of makes sense if using any sort of GPS to use the privacy settings, but worthing thinking about if your new to GPS use.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    it is the first article in the news section, under ROAD, above.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    They need to register the crime as they do for cars with punishments in that category.
    Its not a serious offence if you get caught nicking a bike but to some it is their transport.
    Living MY dream.
  • danlikesbikes
    Scrumple wrote:

Yep, picked it up whilst catching up on twitter & saw it retweeted by several people the link is through to the local paper for the area.

TBH I used to have my Garmin on a shared route basis, but a few years ago I realised that anyone could easily work out where I live so changed my settings.

Not a Strava user myself, but is easy to find out where people live. Just google a bike route in your area and you'll find garmin connect, strava, map my ride all up there with peoples public routes for anyone and everyone to see.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    Scrumple wrote:

Sorry were you trying to be funny funny with me by putting road in caps? If so sorry missed the cynicism but thanks for the post, will just point out that I don't really read the news sections or reviews on BR.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    There's been a spate of bike thefts in my local area. My riding mate had several thousand pounds worth of bike stolen from his garage. Might just be a coincidence but he is a Strava user and before the theft he did not have the privacy zone set. Thankfully I do! But since then I also took my name off Strava and replaced it with a nickname to avoid being traceable through the phone book.
  • And don't call the ride 'home to work'.
  • danlikesbikes
    And don't call the ride 'home to work'.

Thats actually a simple change to make to your route names
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    The other thing to consider is if you ride with friends who use strava ask them to enter your address into the privacy settings too, and do the same if you ride from their home.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you've got a dislike for someone who cycles and lives locally just start Strava from outside their house.
  • danlikesbikes
    Bozman wrote:
    If you've got a dislike for someone who cycles and lives locally just start Strava from outside their house.

Don't think I'd want to get on the wrong side of you then :)
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Anyone who sees how bad my times are on strava will think my bike is not worth nicking!
  • danlikesbikes
    marylogic wrote:
    Anyone who sees how bad my times are on strava will think my bike is not worth nicking!

You could be a hipster on a good single speed though - then again would hipsters use strava, I guess not for speed but to show which cool coffee shops they went to, like twitter and facebook but without the need for words.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Stava is not so bad - Garmin Connect doesnt even offer the option to hide the start/end of your rides - thats probably the most asked for feature but they dont seem to be listening... (or maybe they are the ones stealing the bikes!)
  • apreading wrote:
    Stava is not so bad - Garmin Connect doesnt even offer the option to hide the start/end of your rides - thats probably the most asked for feature but they dont seem to be listening... (or maybe they are the ones stealing the bikes!)

Easy to resolve. Just put a different location to your stop/start on your route if your doing a circuit or just somewhere nearby if doing a point to point. Ideally your stop/start location should be on a junction or outside pub/landmark where nobody lives.
  • danlikesbikes
    apreading wrote:

Easy to resolve. Just put a different location to your stop/start on your route if your doing a circuit or just somewhere nearby if doing a point to point. Ideally your stop/start location should be on a junction or outside pub/landmark where nobody lives.

The easy to resolve bit is for Garmin to learn from Strava and build it in - what your suggesting is a work around, although at present its the best we have with connect if you want your routes to be public.
  • I live close to a police station so my rides start and finish there and my car sat nav has "home" as the police station in case its ever stolen.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I said about this happening in a thread here last year!! :-)

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12886438
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    the lenghts some people will go to to pinch stuff...

right thats 2 postcodes hidden away from strava. never thought of looking at privacy settigns so cheers all round comerades
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • I also have been visited by thieves took 2 bikes valued about 3 grand,also house few doors down another pricey bike taken.The common factor both on strava,no other properties entered.I had privacy settings in place but silly me used my last name in profile,should have known better,just forgot there was some scum about.When you hang around with so many great cycling buddies you just think everyone is spot on,i will still use strava as I find it fun being able compete against yourself and your friends.Will just have to up grade security when I get new bikes,will go for Raleigh shopper,as no one will nick that.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Can people still see your rides if you've got the privacy setting on where you have to approve followers? I.e. if they find your name on a leaderboard, or through someone else you were on a ride with?
  • Average cost of stolen bikes was £460 ??????? eh? - I thought they were targeting high performance bikes?
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    This has been quite an interesting read and just to move it on a little.....

I recently changed My ISP at work. I went to BT's infinity service, but from the outset we had a
    big problem with speed. BT arranged for an engineer to call out and sort it. About an hour
    before he came, I received a call from someone claiming to be from BT informing me the engineer
    was running at little late.

To help speed things up I was asked to turn on our main computer so that
    the BT office in Glasgow could assist the engineer on site, needless to say
    this was a scam.....Lucky for me just at that time the BT engineer arrived.

The BT engineer that came out to us told me it's a big problem as they keep
    getting hacked ! If it can happen to a company like BT, it can happen to anyone.

I wonder if Strava could be the unwitting victim of some form of hacking and
    thus users info being made available, just a thought