chain device

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Here is my bike
image_zps4ee92bc4.jpg

I havnt got any photos close up but I have a Truvativ/Sram Ruktion crankset with bashguard with a Hussefelt Howitzer Race BB - external BB. The chain bouncing around on jump is annoying me so I'm looking at one of these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=336

In BB mount seeing as the BB is external and I think it has spacers but my question is will I be able to put the device on myself seeing as I dont have crank pullers or any BB tools etc.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Superstar device is ok but the Blackspire Stinger is better quality and still very cheap.
  • pesky_jones
    Cheers RM have you seen/used both? Obviosuly more inclinced to the cheaper of the two. But just back to my other question quickly - would I be able to fit it myself or will I have to take it to the LBS?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had a superstar double device. It was ok but the bearings didn't last long and I eventually bent it in a crash. The replacement Stinger was definitely better built and still on original bearings.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    In BB mount seeing as the BB is external and I think it has spacers but my question is will I be able to put the device on myself seeing as I dont have crank pullers or any BB tools etc.
    nope you need the tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope you need the tools.

So if I want to fit this I need to buy a BB tool and a crank puller/ take it to LBS? I take it not all BB tools and crank pullers are the same?

Tools will cost more then component lol
  • nicklouse
    BB tool. ring type.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rockmonkeysc

Tools will cost more then component lol

Think of tools as an investment. Pay for them once and you never have to pay a shop to do the job again and never have to wait for a shop to fit you in their workshop.
  • pesky_jones
    Think of tools as an investment. Pay for them once and you never have to pay a shop to do the job again and never have to wait for a shop to fit you in their workshop.
    Yeah good point.
    nicklouse wrote:
    ring type.
    Could you explain?
  • nicklouse
    all you need.

or have you not bothered to look at the manual?

downloadable from Srams webby.
  • pesky_jones
    nicklouse wrote:
    all you need.

or have you not bothered to look at the manual?

downloadable from Srams webby.

Sorry Nick I didnt look at the manual. Unless I understand the basics I generally get confused - just trying to get an understanding.
  • pesky_jones
    Would I even need to remove the BB thinking about it? wouldnt it just be cranks?
  • nicklouse
    Would I even need to remove the BB thinking about it? wouldnt it just be cranks?
    it depends on how you can mount the device.