backpack and hello

aidanjones88
aidanjones88 Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello there,
This is my first post and I was hoping to pick your brains for some purchasing advice.

I plan on doing some all day "epic" trails this coming summer and was looking to get a good quality rucksack to carry all my bits and bobs.

I am looking for something that can carry

Light food (sandwich, snacks etc...)
Portable Gas Stove
Bottled Water
Inner Tubes
Tyre Levers
Trail Pump
Camera
Alternative Clothes (for weather changes)

All of this while still being comfortable.

Can anybody suggest a particular make or even more specificaly a particular model if you have one in mind?

Thank you all very much indeed.

oh and I'm Aidan by the way :)

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143

Portable Gas Stove

Really? How epic a ride are you planning?

Hello, by the way.
  • I know it sounds old manny ish but I do love a good few cups of tea and I really dont trust a flask of hot watter on my back. Also i will be taking it if I do any camping runs (which is more than likely) :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd rather have a flask of water than a gas bottle when I fall off.
    Personally I'd travel lighter and find a cake shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hehe I guess its just my way. But each to their own i always say :)

My old backpack is trashed now after a bit of abuse and its been so long since i invested im really not sure what to go for now, so I was hopeing somebody had some suggestions on what backpacks work for them?
  • Osprey do some good ones. I put one on the other day in "go outdoors" it was comfortable and had some great features. Wish I brought it really.
    That's probably what I'll get soon. But I'm only a beginner so take my advice as you will! :)
  • Hi..

Camelbaks always seem to rate very highly in the reviews i've read, so much so that I recently purchase a camelbak mule from Merlin Cycles as they have an excellent range and very competitve on price too. I did look at osprey aswell but came down to best value for money IMO.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Looks like you're going to need c 20-25 litres.

The Osprey Escapist is a great pack

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/osp ... tch__plid_
  • Thanks very much guys,
    Seems like thats two good brands you guys recommend so this gives me a starter for 10. Away to go start researching both and seeing whats available.

Thanks again :)
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    I'm also looking for a backpack and i have had a brief look around the net. I'm still undecided, there isn't much to go on in terms of recommendations and reviews, exept for Camelback. Thing is though, Camelback seem to be best for the bare essentials, a couple of hours or so, with just enough needed room and a small size as to not hinder movement.

I really think this isn't for you though, your going to need something that will be large enough to carry all your gear in, and yet be comfortable for epic journeys. Also, you'll need something a bit thicker than a Camelback, because if you come off and land on your back, with a gas stove in there, you may never be cycling anywere ever again. My advice would be to find a seperate storage compartment for your stove that can be attached to your bike.

I think i've found the perfect pack for you though, it's leading the way for me too. It's a backpack by Topeak, just log on to their site and you'll find it. I can't remember the full name of it unfortunately, but you'll find it easily enough anyway. One you have found the full name, you can go on youtube and watch a brief review of it.

It's at the pricier end of the market if i remember correctly, but looks well worth it. I'll do a bit more looking, but i'll almost certainly end up with one myself.