Which is a better bike?

cava30
cava30 Posts: 8
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all.

I am in the process of buying a mountain bike.

The reasons are I could do with the extra exercise and want to take my 22 month old boy in the back with me for some rides.

Currently I am looking at two and these are;

Specialized Hardrock 29er 2013 size 17 at £500.00

Dawes XC27D 2013 size 20 at @550.00

I like the specs in booth of these but as a for the make I don't know which is more reputable and or which of these two bikes is the winner.

To start with there is no off road to go to at least at the moment. It just happens that these are my type of bike.

Please send your honest opinion regarding these two bikes.

Many thanks.

Albert

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Size wise you need to sit on them, sizing varies enormously.

Not going to beat about the bush, the Hardrock is dire. Very poor fork, basic drivetrain found on bikes half the price and some basic parts.

The Dawes has some nice parts but is still not great. What other options do you have?
  • cava30
    These are the two I have seen an got quotes for.

Any thing up to £600.00 please mention it.

Thank you.
  • supersonic
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1. Is an amazing bike.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    At that price point, you'll find Halfords hard to beat. You may also be able to find some 2012 models with good discounts.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decathlon beats Halfords, but their coverage is not as good.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    defo wouldnt bother with the dawes. I had one a few years back and had nothing but trouble with the gears, brakes. Had to keep taking it back to the shop. Ended up getting a specialized rockhopper. Had it 2 years and its been an excellent bike. Not had any problems with it at all and done over 4000 miles on it.
  • supersonic
    'A few years back' is not relevant at all - this is a 2013 bike.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Decathlon beats Halfords, but their coverage is not as good.
    Quite, I'd probably go to Decothlon if there was one anywhere near me. Several Halfords though.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    johnas7 wrote:
    I had one a few years back and had nothing but trouble with the gears, brakes. Had to keep taking it back to the shop.
    No doubt the self same gears and brakes fitted to hundreds of thousands of other bikes, magically rendered defective by being used on yours....or just an incompittant shop who couldn't set it up right, or owner who fiddled it back wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cava30
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1. Is an amazing bike.

I would like this one better but couldn't find a store that sells hem anywhere near Norfolk.

Thanks for all comments.

Albert
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    There's a Decathlon in Thurrock. Not too far to go to get a decent bike!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike