2 Things...

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I thought buying some bars would be straight forward. I want some Farbars but they have different rise? Why and what difference does it make?

Also if I am buying an M-Trax that is measured centre on bb to top of top tube that is 19 inch. What equivelent size would it be in modern day bikes i.e s,m or large and what inch. I dont want to buy it and find its too big.

I dont ask alot do I ha!

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    More rise the ends will be higher so your hands will be in a different place.

There is no answwer to your second paragraph.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Page 25 of the most recent MBUK: "The higher the rise in the bar, the further the grips will be from the ground, changing a rider's body position. A lower rise or flat bar helps put more weight over the front end, which will aid front end grip. However too low can result in over-the-bar situations."
    I use 760mm bars with a 35mm rise and I would not go any higher personally. I would advise somewhere between 15-35mm rise but everyone is different and prefers different positioning on a bike.

And your second query, a 19"-20" tends to be a Large size MTB, and they are measured from the centre of the BB to the seat collar.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some older bikes are measured centre to centre of of the top tube mind.

But to the OP, look at the top tube length too, or read our What Size sticky.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Agreed, generally 15-16 = small, 17-18 = medium, 19-20 = large. You really need to know what the efective top tube length is, thats basically the distance from the saddle to the grips. That dictates how far you need to stretch. It's much easier to move the seat up and down a little than keep changing the stem.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You really need to know what the efective top tube length is, thats basically the distance from the saddle to the grips

No it isn't - it's the notional horizontal length of the top tube, basically a way of standardising TT length ignoring the drop of the tube or funky tube shapes. Stem length will affect reach.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Cheers guys. Didnt know that about the bar rise but it does make sense.

As for the bike sizing, i will ask the guy some more questions. I dont want to end up with a too big bike project. Will be no fun building it to sell instead of ride.