Multi release cleats?

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having recently attempted to switch to SPD's I still find myself reaching for flats most weekends unless I'm back home on trails I know really well, had one silly crash from not unclipping and wondering whether multi-release cleats would help build my confidence abit? I hear they're easier to get out of but you can unclip if you pull up too hard on the pedals?

Do you think they'd be worth a shot?

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Fine for commuting but I think you will unclip too easy on trails.
    Can you not just adjust your existing pedals so you can release a little easier? I have mine set quite loose, about one turn + and can get in and out quite nicely
  • lawman
    They're fully loosened off, I've been fine on the road bike but not feeling entirely confident on the MTB, I find myself thinking more about being able to unclip than the trail and I've been picking flats more often than not.
  • I used multi release and still couldn't get out in time :lol:

Hated it off road!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Just keep at it, it'll soon become second nature. Multi release cleats may mean you never fully develop the right panic-unclip technique.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Keep at it lawman, you'll get it eventually and it'll become second nature. It's become quite scary how quickly I can get my feet out when I need to, at times when things start to go bad I find they're often out and heading down before I've even thought about it.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    edited March 2013
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Keep at it lawman, you'll get it eventually and it'll become second nature. It's become quite scary how quickly I can get my feet out when I need to, at times when things start to go bad I find they're often out and heading down before I've even thought about it.

+1, I don't even think about it now, even in the most rushed panic my foot seems to just come out when needed with standard cleats.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above, just stick with, it does become very second nature quite quickly without even realising it. Oddly though I can't get to grips with them on the road bike and I'm always thinking about unclipping at junctions etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep at it, but post pics and videos of your leaning process and injuries.
    Obviously this is just so we get the benefit of your experience and not at all to laugh a lot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    Think I'll stick with it then!! Cheers chaps!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I and people i know have flipped over the bars and landed on their feet, somehow unclipping in the process. It just becomes natural.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You'll be fine if you stick with it. I've had the obligatory "couldn't unclip in time" slow-mo crash, but as the others said, it does become second nature. I can get a foot out in a corner now without even thinking about it, and I can almost get back in just as easily. I'm sure if you start forcing yourself to use them for every ride, you'll get used to them a helluva lot faster. I don't even think about using flats for XC now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Only if they're seized, which I highly doubt.

Multi-release are evil, like having really worn cleats, just stick with it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have used multi-release cleats since about 1996 I like 'em

Can set the pedal tension quite high and still unclip in a hurry
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    lawman wrote:
    I find myself thinking more about being able to unclip

you have not moved from the conscious mind to subconscious mind :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    omegas wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    I find myself thinking more about being able to unclip

you have not moved from the conscious mind to subconscious mind :lol:
    Or, if you don't unclip in time, the unconcious mind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools