GPS unit required

gallowayphantom
gallowayphantom Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Looking for a gps unit because I'm heading out and mapping potential trails/routes for someone who looking at offering un guided (offering GPS co ordinates,maps route description) etc (maybe guided) mtb breaks/hols. £250 is probably my limit. Mapping would be nice. Garmin appears to be the in thing, Any advice.
The ones I've looked at
Bryton rider 50e
Garmin Oregon series
etrex series

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I cant comment on the Bryton but anything by Garmin is good I have had 3. Currently got a Garmin Dakota 20 and it is bulletproof mine came off the handlebars at exactly 31.2mph (my fault didnt clean some mud out of the mount so it didnt lock in) and all it did was bounce and keep on working. Whatever you get buy a screen protector because using the touch screen with muddy gritty gloves soon dulls the screen. Mapping is nice to have but not essential if you have a folding map. A mini USB port is essential in my opinion you dont want to be relying on Bluetooth or taking a USB card out to transfer data. When you first start up the unit out of the box take time to check it is totally accurate by doing it in a well known location. Some GPS units can be out by several 10s of meters and need manually tuning to get spot on accuracy. My Dakota is usually within about 1 meter accuracy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap