Hubs: Simano vsDT Swiss vs American Classic 225 - noise?

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Am looking at a wheel build for a CX bike using disc hubs.

I absolutely HATE noisy hubs like Hope, Chris King etc. Love Shimano for their quietness but they are a bit heavy (esp in 6 bolt form) and I am thinking about a hub with cartridge bearings.

The two quietest (& semi-reasonable money) cartridge based hubs seem to be the DT Swiss 350 or the American Classic 225 - but some of the youtube videos still make them sound very noisy!

Are they really that noisy in real life? Which is the quieter of the two? or should I just go with Shimano XT?

Other than that, any other thoughts appreciated too.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XTR if you can afford it - just a quiet ticking.
  • bigcoose
    bigcoose Posts: 41
    i have some dt swiss tricon and they are nice and quiet
  • apreading
    Hmmm - XTR might be considered. They dont seem to do 6 bolt versions but I could use an adapter or get some new rotors I suppose. I think I would still like to give cartridge bearings a go though...

I am wondering if the youtube clips of some of these hubs make them seem more noisy than the reality though...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the case of Superstar and Hope the vids make them seem quieter......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    In the case of Superstar and Hope the vids make them seem quieter......

Yeah - superstar have lost 2 sales of wheelsets to me because of their noisy hubs. they look great and are really light and cheap and they fit the bill in every way, except the noise is unacceptable to me. The £200 crest wheels would be perfect for my son but for this, and the Stans Iron Cross wheelset would be perfect for me (although there is also some debate about Iron Cross rims being run with tubes at higher pressures too).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Run them tubeless, sorted!

DT240s are quiet if they've got a reasonable amount of grease in them, but get increasingly loud as it disperses. That said I think it's a less annoying noise than Hope or King.

A2Z are pretty quiet, and cheap, and light.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    apreading wrote:
    or should I just go with Shimano XT?
    I take the freehub body off mine every 6 months or so and soak it overnight in synthetic engine oil. Runs absolutely silently after this and ticks like a quality watch when it needs doing again.
  • the American Classcs are lovely and quiet,they are simple for maintenence too, 2 19mm cone spanners and the axel comes out, you can grease them up and you dont hear them at all, otherwise thy sound like a fishing reel,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481