Help me out - Budget of £600 and looking for second hand HT

CTID
CTID Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

First post so be nice please

Currently have a Custom mix of bits I'm riding. Was originally a Rockhopper comp 04, but frame was a bit big, so bought a Hardrock Pro frame that fitted me properly and added extra bits to that - XTR rear mech, XT front, XT Cassette and new chain, Monkey bars, matching bontrager seat and stem. Dmr V8's etc etc.

Anyway on topic:

Driving ban so now on bike for 15 months :oops:
Bike will be used mainly for commuting, but I also like to take the long way home as there are a few decent trails round here. Front lockout forks would be nice addition for the commute - but tyres aren't a problem, I've got a couple of different pairs.

I have a budget of £600 to spend on a second hand XC bike. Always had a soft spot for Specialized's and had various models over the years but fancy something else.

Ive been looking at the Orange Crush, but maybe a bit OTT for me and what it will be used for.

Anything similar you guys can recommend for the budget?

Cheers chaps,
Tony

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too many questions....
    1/ What sort of riding do you do, even 'XC' can cover a wide band
    2/ On what sort of terrain
    HT or double bump?
    Decent forks with floodgate don't really need lockout, they do that for you!

Suggesting a second hand bike is hard anyway, as none may be available to you.

Personally I'd suggest getting an on-one whippet carbon frame, reframing what you have with some upgrades as you do so.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CTID
    Thanks for your input! :D

First of all - mainly commuting - but im a bit of a bashful rider and weighing 15 stone need something quite burly.

Trail riding nothing serious, no jumping and stuff! :lol:

I really want a full build - have had enough of upgrading for now, and just want to sell what I have when I have a nice complete package.

I understand like you say what you suggest may not be available to me, but just wondered what else is similar in spec to an Orange Crush hopefully for less money! :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any one of a million on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CTID
    cooldad wrote:

Thanks for your help mate! :roll:
  • CTID
    Yes I know I'm being a bit vague here.

Is an orange Crush a bit OTT for commuting with a few little bumps here and there. And is there anything in or around the same price bracket thats better specced?

:mrgreen:
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    CTID wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

he's right though. there are litterally loads of well specced bikes under £600 second hand.

from what I have seen recently

charge, on-one, genesis, giant, spesh, trek, cube, orange

the list goes on and then there is the 29ers and fs bikes.
  • cooldad
    CTID wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Might be easier to find something(s) you like and ask for opinions.
    Or you could just roll your eyes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    +1 makes more sense to come back with some bikes you're looking at and get opinions.

I'd be looking at maybe a Whippet or Scott scale (both HT) or maybe even a 29er like a Trek Superfly for what you describe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CTID
    Sorry I was a bit vague. Ended up with this for £650 delivered... What do you reckon?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-Crush- ... 7675.l2557

:mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    Decent bike but not the world's greatest commuter.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CTID
    cooldad wrote:
    Decent bike but not the world's greatest commuter.

Im sure it will do me for under 3 miles a day :lol:
  • The Rookie
    LOL, my neighbour used to do more that that (not much more) on an 8" travel Norco.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Will be fine on the trails, less so on the roads. Decent buy though
  • CTID
    Any recomendations on a pair of more road friendly tyres as spares?

Got a set of halo twin rail tyres that roll quite well, but are due replacing soon so any ideas?

Cheers :)
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Schwalbe city jets, last forever, roll pretty well and good puncture resistance. Cheap too :)