26" bikes for tall rider 6ft 5

jasonsullivan
jasonsullivan Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi , im looking for a hardtail bike to ride trails with but i am quite a tall guy . i was looking at the carrera kraken from halfords in large but i wasn't sure if this would be large enough for me? it was suggested that i just lift the seatpost or change it all together? are there any similar bikes that could be suggested to me. Ideally i want something with 100mm+ on the fork travel.

any advice would be great!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... =true&msg=

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hi , im looking for a hardtail bike to ride trails with but i am quite a tall guy . i was looking at the carrera kraken from halfords in large but i wasn't sure if this would be large enough for me? it was suggested that i just lift the seatpost or change it all together? are there any similar bikes that could be suggested to me. Ideally i want something with 100mm+ on the fork travel.

any advice would be great!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... =true&msg=
    sizing has more to do with inseam (inside leg) and reach than height, have you actually sat on one yet ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    The Kraken comes in a XL size, 22" so that maybe right for you? You could potentially go for a 20" 29er, as Voodoo have literally last week bought out 2 new ones.

But as Chez says I would go into a few bikes stores or at least Halfords first before making a decision you may regret. Sit on a few different size bikes and see how they feel. I'm 6'3" and ride an 18" full suss, granted it's too small for me but i like having a small bike as it's easy to fling around on the trails. I just make up for the smaller size for it by using a layback seat post and wide bars.

You should really be having to lift the seatpost at least a few inches. If you are not having to, the bike is too big. You want the ability to be able to drop the post out of the way when making a decent and then rising it back up again on long climbs.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'm 6' 4", and I find that the 23" frame on my Hardrock is just right for me - I've also tried out some of the Specialized 29ers for size and the 21" is every bit as good and gives more standover clearance.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are loads of XL 26" hardtails. Specialized Rockhopper & Hardrock have very large sizes. I think Whyte and Cube make some XL hardtails as well.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look at On One - Inbred or Scandal models.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    chez_m356 wrote:
    sizing has more to do with inseam (inside leg) and reach than height, have you actually sat on one yet ?
    Sizing has practically nothing to do with inseam on an MTB, the scope for BB centre to saddle adjustement is massive (upto over 300mm or 12"), it's much more to do with effective top tube length (combined with any saddle setback and stem length) for total reach (body and arms).

Effective top tube length is key, personally I don't think a Kraken will be long enough unless you are long of leg and short of body (relatively), I think your looking at something around a 22+/-1".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    passout wrote:
    Look at On One - Inbred or Scandal models.

I wouldn't. I'm 6'4" and ride an Inbred and if I'm honest it's a bit small for me, but I refuse to accept this 'cos I love it so won't change it, but I'd be hard pushed to recommend it for anyone my size or taller.

The Inbred 29 comes up much better.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobmouse
    bobmouse Posts: 32
    Agreed on the on one comments, riding a 456 ss large. I'm the same height as you and it feels to far to small. Large 26er bikes look a bit gate like.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    edited March 2013
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Sizing has practically nothing to do with inseam on an MTB, the scope for BB centre to saddle adjustement is massive (upto over 300mm or 12"), it's much more to do with effective top tube length (combined with any saddle setback and stem length) for total reach (body and arms).
    absolutely nothing, thats why you ride a 16'' bike because your legs are mahoosively long, which they are not as you have said yourself in a few posts, so you really need to make your mind up, the point being, as i have already said, he needs to try a few before saying i need x size :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bigger bikes usually come with longer top tubes and smaller frames have short top tubes. Seat tube length is a more convenient measurement for selling bikes, top tube length can be measured in more than one way. Seat tube length is not important. As it says above, you can get 400mm adjustment on the saddle height but only a little bit of top tube length adjustment, long stems ruin the handling so most of the adjustment is in the saddle. Getting the right top tube length or down tube length are most important