Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Forme Longcliffe Bikes

oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,162
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Has anybody on here got a Forme Longcliffe 1 bike either campag or Shimano equiped, im after an honest overview of the bike as looking to get one, Have tried it out and also a Trek Madone 2.3 and Cannondale Caad 10 But cannot fully make my mind up. Alternative is to get a Ribble built to my spec but want something different. All thoughts appreciated
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,162
    I take it that either nobody has a forme longcliffe so might get it just to be different assuming its a nice fit. Tried the Trek just need to try the Caad for correct size.
  • hi there i have the 105 version matt black, had this since new year and very impressed with it. i had looked at quite a few bikes but on seeing this and sitting on it felt good, maybe not the lightest bike around but i love riding it.have done around 600miles on it so far(have another bike for commuting) and cant think of anything wrong to say about it.
  • I bought a Viking Roma recently which was good value (half price!), but turned out to be not as lightweight as I expected. I'd been borrowing a friend's Forme Longcliffe 4.0 which got me back interested in riding, but I didn't want to go mad on a new bike spending too much.

I'd not heard of Forme bikes but the specs seemed really good for the money and I've seen this week there are some amazing offers on ebay for new 2013 Forme Longcliffes and having used the Longcliffe 4.0 I'm going to order the Longcliffe 2.0 for pretty much what a Longcliffe 4.0 would usually cost!! I've scrounged the 4.0 to go on the turbo trainer, so happy solutions all round.

The wheel sets I've been recommended to check for quality and the Forme Longcliffe 2.0 is £599 on offer now and has Mavic Aksium wheels. I wouldn't have thought to check about the wheels at all but my bike buddy tells me it makes a massive difference, so I will be following his advice.

Hope the good weather lasts now!
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,551
    Have not actually bought one of the Forme Longcliffe retail offerings but I did buy a Forme Longcliffe frame back in April as the basis of a winter bike building project. My reason for choosing it was the looks (which I liked) and the ability to fit proper mudguards when needed, but mainly that the geometry was virtually identical to my best bike at that time (Trek Madone 5.9)

Having completed the build at the beginning of May, I came to like riding the bike so much that I seriously questioned the need to hang on the the Trek. Upshot was that I eventually sold the Trek and have been riding the Forme since including on the Etape Caledonia.

My build was based around Shimano 105 but I have to admit that I swapped over my handbuilt wheels from the Trek.

8643132350_7b6ee8aa52_b.jpg

Go with the Forme and you wont be disappointed - ride the wheelset through the winter and look to upgrade next year when the weather improves.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,162
    I didn't go with the Forme i had a Moda Bolero built to my spec as i wasn't happy with microshifters. It currently has a 105 triple groupset and i couldn't be happier. May look at Forme for my next bike all be it a new MTB. Glad you like yours.