Help me decide, full suss or hardtail

13»

Comments

• I'd go for the Radon as it sounds like you're already sold on the idea. :lol:

All this crap about a particular type of bike being unsuitable for a particular type of riding is just that; crap.
    Obviously some bikes are more suitable for certain terrain than others, but doesn't mean you can't have fun riding your chosen bike wherever you like.
    There are so many slaves to marketing here. :idea:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • acer1597
    acer1597 Posts: 28
    This is it, further up in the thread somebody said the Radon was not really slack enough at the front. It has a 70 degree head angle, same as the Canyon Grand Canyon, another XC bike but also the same as the Orange Clockwork which I think is more of a 29er trail hardtail? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also the new Canyon Nerve 29er has a 70 degree head angle so I figure that must be the norm, only the Whyte seem to be slack the the front with its 68.5.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd go for the Radon as it sounds like you're already sold on the idea. :lol:

All this crap about a particular type of bike being unsuitable for a particular type of riding is just that; crap.
    Obviously some bikes are more suitable for certain terrain than others, but doesn't mean you can't have fun riding your chosen bike wherever you like.
    There are so many slaves to marketing here. :idea:

An xc race bike will not make it down a proper DH course in one piece, likewise a DH bike will be absolutely no fun whatsoever on an xc race course, it's your point that's crap...
  • lawman wrote:

An xc race bike will not make it down a proper DH course in one piece, likewise a DH bike will be absolutely no fun whatsoever on an xc race course, it's your point that's crap...

My (13yr old) 100mm XC hardtail has been down plenty of downhill tracks.
    Maybe it's you that's crap. :P

Try taking what I said in context of the OP, where it makes sense, rather than your take it to the extremes fantasy, which is of no relevance.
    TBH, I'd imagine you're another one of those riders that has spent huge amounts of money on a bike (or bikes) and then is constantly trying to justify it to themselves as deep down they know it's all completely unnecessary. :wink:

Try and relax, it's ok to have these toys if that's what you want. Nobody is trying to say otherwise, petal. :lol:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

My (13yr old) 100mm XC hardtail has been down plenty of downhill tracks.
    Maybe it's you that's crap. :P

Try taking what I said in context of the OP, where it makes sense, rather than your take it to the extremes fantasy, which is of no relevance.
    TBH, I'd imagine you're another one of those riders that has spent huge amounts of money on a bike (or bikes) and then is constantly trying to justify it to themselves as deep down they know it's all completely unnecessary. :wink:

Try and relax, it's ok to have these toys if that's what you want. Nobody is trying to say otherwise, petal. :lol:

I'm sure it could, but would it be fun? Depends on your view of fun, if hanging on for dear life is fun, then I'm sure its great!

You were the one who said any bike can be ridden anywhere

Yes you could ride any bike on any trail, but that's just stupid in some cases, you don't drive a lawnmower to the shops, you have a car because its better for what you want it to do...

Having a dig at me doesn't help your point, it just makes you look like a prick
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My (13yr old) 100mm XC hardtail has been down plenty of downhill tracks

My 17 year old one has too! But a DH bike is a hell of a lot better for it ;-)
  • lawman wrote:
    You were the one who said any bike can be ridden anywhere

To continue your analogy, I'm not saying that you should use a Formula 1 car for nipping to the shops, or that you should use a G-Wiz for racing around Silverstone, but you could use a McLaren F1 for the trip to Waitrose, and a Nissan Micra can do the speed limit on a motorway.
    People are obsessed by the tiniest differences in their bikes, just because a magazine says you must have XXXmm of travel to be able to ride somewhere or that you'll die in a huge explosion if you point your 69+ degree head angled bike anywhere that isn't up hill.

Didn't think I'd have to explain that...
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • lawman
    What annoys me more is people making the assumption that people believe whatever they read in a magazine, there are a fair few people out there who make suggestions based on actual knowledge of what does and doesn't work, not what they read...

If anything marketing has an even bigger effect on such people if it hacks you off that much. Part of my degree is in advertising, people want to sell bikes so they're going to push their product as much as they can, but so many people get caught up in the stuff they read, and they seem reluctant to accept it, I can see why you might be that way inclined, but just because your view is negative on it, doesn't mean its pure bullshit, a lot of it will benefit your riding and people are just stubborn to accept it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    One thing I have learned through an expensive lesson is that head angle and stem length make a massive difference as to how a bike performs on gradients. And having the best components in the world can't hide that.

I've had a torrid, depressing time going mildy downhill on a 120mm boardman FS, and ridden stuff with a similar travel giant that I would have normally done on a 160mm bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • What annoys me more is people making the assumption

It's not an assumption, you can see the effect for yourself in every MTB forum. :idea:
    If anything marketing has an even bigger effect on such people if it hacks you off that much.

Doesn't hack me off, and having a 13yr old bike it obviously doesn't affect me. :)
    Part of my degree is in advertising

Satan's little helper!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • UK2004
    UK2004 Posts: 137
    lawman wrote:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/102365/

Remembered watching this a while back...

Case closed.

Great vid, enjoyed watching that!