Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

£200 Wheelset

xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
My usual wheelset is giving up after many many miles cxp 22 with shimano 105 hub. But the spokes keep breaking, took them to lbs and the wheelbuilder there has advised me to purchase a new set of wheels as the problem is becoming far to often. Obviously i could have them rebuilt but i was hoping to start racing (After a very unsuccessful first race on saturday) So was looking for something lighter and more aero! But what can i get for my budget of £200? The best i could find seem to be these http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... 0_wheelset
And i would still have change too! What else can i get for the price though?
Bear in mind that im no lightweight so badly built wheels arent going to last me long!
Thanks in advance
Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/

Posts

  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    Yes, those are a good choice, but get your wheels rebuilt for winter use... 105 hubs are ideal for that, while the PX ones are more for dry use.
    A rebuild, assuming your rims are still in good nick, will be 60 pounds, if you need new rims too, then 120 for some decent Ambrosio ones
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    My plan was to use the spare wheels for horrible winter days and for the turbo for know anyway there not in bad condition but they arent going to take a lot of battering.
    Are there any other wheels that are good value around £200? And fast to race on? Also do you know how fast the pick up is on the hub on the planet x wheels? because its horribly slow on my current wheelset and no use for racing haha
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Mavic Aksiums. Very light, spin up well and the rims are very strong. For £200 I reckon they are about as good as you can get.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    xcMuttley wrote:
    My plan was to use the spare wheels for horrible winter days and for the turbo for know anyway there not in bad condition but they arent going to take a lot of battering.
    Are there any other wheels that are good value around £200? And fast to race on? Also do you know how fast the pick up is on the hub on the planet x wheels? because its horribly slow on my current wheelset and no use for racing haha

    Read my blog here

    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... engagement
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    Very good blog, point taken :D
    Are there any other wheels you would recommend ugo?
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    xcMuttley wrote:
    Very good blog, point taken :D
    Are there any other wheels you would recommend ugo?

    Within that price range only Kinlin rims, like the PX ones, maybe built a bit stronger for a heavier rider, but nobody can match PX on price
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    Thanks Ugo will get some ordered :D I did have a look at the mavics but saw some other posts of yours saying they were hard to get spares for. Dont look as good as the PX wheels anyway haha. Thanks again
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    xcMuttley wrote:
    Thanks Ugo will get some ordered :D I did have a look at the mavics but saw some other posts of yours saying they were hard to get spares for. Dont look as good as the PX wheels anyway haha. Thanks again

    What is your weight?
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    Around 85kg now but im losing more every week, i had a long injury and put a lot of weight on but it is quickly coming back off :) Why?
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    xcMuttley wrote:
    Around 85kg now but im losing more every week, i had a long injury and put a lot of weight on but it is quickly coming back off :) Why?

    Cause you said you were heavy, but you are not... :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    Haha thank you, i think i keep saying because im more used to be nearing 100kg instead of under 90 ;) What about the superstar wheelsets? I think i asked you before but when i was bit heavier haha
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,028
    xcMuttley wrote:
    Haha thank you, i think i keep saying because im more used to be nearing 100kg instead of under 90 ;) What about the superstar wheelsets? I think i asked you before but when i was bit heavier haha

    They are all the same thing, give or take, but Stick to the PX, they use very standard components that can be sourced easily... Other suppliers of the same stuff use less common hubs for which there are no spares anywhere
    left the forum March 2023
  • xcMuttleyxcMuttley Posts: 434
    Okay, brilliant!! Cant thank you enough! Will get some ordered now, will upload some pics when i have the wheels fitted ;) Thanks again Ugo!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • sam1176uksam1176uk Posts: 524
    They look a nice wheelset for £150, what about fulcrum racing 7's, they are about the same price and might be better, though I'm no expert :)
  • RemarkableRemarkable Posts: 187
    What do you think of these Ugo? I happened to stumble across them by sheer accident... :?:

    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yishun-2 ... 56565.html
  • mr_sjmr_sj Posts: 507
    I got a set of planet x al30 last week and love them, contemplated the fulcrum racing 5 and a few others but after getting advice on here and reading countless reviews, the planet x seemed by far the best deal.
Sign In or Register to comment.