Best quality mudguards? What do you use?

Spinfaster
Spinfaster Posts: 54
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Ok at christmas i had a set of the Crud, road racer mk2 guards, they where only £22, seemed great once fitted and did do the job, however they are extremely flimsey, ( i know they are light ) if they lent against anything they would instantly be out of shape and there was hardly a time when i could go out with them on, when a stone, mud or a leafe would catch in the guard and continually rub against the tyre! After 80 miles on the bike yesterday they have drove me mad so i have ripped them off and am now asking advice on the best quality bike guards. I want a pair for a road bike, that are strong and sturdy, with full coverage on the rear wheel, a lot of the lads on the club run are using SKS. What does eveyone suggest, quick release would be great. All opinions please!

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Can your bike take full mudguards?
  • lc1981 wrote:

Yes, i have a XXL specialized allez elite, had the mk2 racers on and did not have to even cut and section!
    Cheers
  • lc1981
    In that case, I can highly recommend SKS Chromoplastics. They've served me very well this winter, hardly ever need adjusting and have survived a crash in which someone hit my back wheel.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    In that case, I can highly recommend SKS Chromoplastics. They've served me very well this winter, hardly ever need adjusting and have survived a crash in which someone hit my back wheel.

Are these what you have got?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Chromoplast ... _15491.htm

These also look decent
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Longboard-M ... _52388.htm

Do your guards have a quick release?
  • Does the Allez Elite have bolt holes in fork and stays for that type of guard?
  • Does the Allez Elite have bolt holes in fork and stays for that type of guard?

Bolt holes in the fork? sorry i dont know what you mean?? :oops:
  • DougL
    DougL Posts: 47
    SKS Bluemels in Matt Black are lovely... if they fit your bike. The matt black makes them blend in and not stand out like the shiny black ones.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-bluemels-road-mudguard-set/

And a really nice installation video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_WZVS9SUY
  • lc1981
    Spinfaster wrote:
    Are these what you have got?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Chromoplast ... _15491.htm

Do your guards have a quick release?

Yep, they're the ones. They require a bit of work to fit and replace, so definitely not something that you can decide whether to ride with before you head out. They're the kind of guard that you fit for the whole winter. But the payoff is that once on, they're very solid and don't rub.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    SKS chromoplastic is probably the best (Blumels seem to be the same type). Both require a 5mm threaded hole at the end of the fork, just above the hub axle. They come with a safety release system which bolts to the hole. The steel stays then fix into this safety release block. The system is essential in case of trapped debris and it works.
    Bolt-on mudguards can be tricky to fit to close clearance bikes. You may need to nibble bits of plastic away with a dremel, esp between the chainstays and possibly between the fork blades.
    The best way of fixing a rear mudguard to the chainstay bridge is by drilling a small hole 1cm from the tip and using a single small ziptie looped around the bridge. It will last for years an is rattle free.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    As others have said, SKS mudguards can be an absolute pain to fit if they happen not to work out of the box with your bike. I'd advise you to buy them from a LBS who will fit them if you're not prepared to spend some time bodging them. It's not really hard - just can take quite a lot of time. Great when they're on though - rock solid.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Recently fitted a pair of SKS Chromoplastic guards to my Condor 531 frame, I couldn't believe how difficult these were to fit:
    - First they assume you have fitting holes on the drop outs, most bikes don't. I found some nice p-clips which sorted that problem (13mm front, 10mm rear).
    - What really bugged my through is that the solt in the bracket for the front guard was too small, and I believe pretty much all bikes these days have the same allen key fitting so I can't see how this bracket would fit any bike!! Got round the problem by (a) opening up the slot with a dremmel and (b) bending the bracket at right angles so it would clear the down tube.
    - lastly as mentioned above, I needed a tie wrap around the chainstay bridge.

Now that they're in place, the guards seem very good. They don't rub and keep me nice n dry/clean :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    +1 for tortec..... Have a pair fitted to my secteur
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another SKS chromoplastic user here (I think 4 or 5 bikes have them fitted).

Fitting them is a job that requires endurance, skill and extreme patience. It is probably my least favourite job in cycling.

Once they are installed though, rock solid, quiet and keep you (and more importantly your drivetrain) clean and dry.

I have never tried longboards, but they look really good.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    I wonder if SKS know how much we all hate fitting their products. Not hard to see how they could make the process a bit easier - a few choices of bolt, bracket, cable tie etc would make them fit more bikes without lots of bodging. Also better instructions.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Tortec or SKS both are good.

I can never understand why people don't use full mudguards. The clip-on ones imo look pathetic.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Spinfaster wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:

Yes, i have a XXL specialized allez elite, had the mk2 racers on and did not have to even cut and section!
    Cheers

Do you not need the bridge in the rear stays though? I've a Spesh allez and although it has the fork/stay eyes it doesn't have the bridge.