Forum home Family & kids cycling forum

New contender to Islabikes perhaps

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,281
Spotted a bit in cycling active about a company call frogbikes.
Looks at first glance very good. Website is www.frogbikes.com
I think its the same people that do Knog lights
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

Posts

  • merkinmerkin Posts: 452
    I like that they have shimano gears. I have had 2 Islabikes for my kids and while overall they are really great bikes, the SRAM gears are practically impossible to get into 1st even for me, let alone a kid with gloves.
  • I have campagnola on all my bikes. My son had sram on his islabike and its so easy for a 6 year old to usr
  • baudmanbaudman Posts: 757
    oxoman wrote:
    I think its the same people that do Knog lights

    You got me excited there. Knog are from my home town.

    It says on their website that Frog bikes are a British company. Still... could be the UK importer of Knog, if there is a connection?

    Bikes look good. Good they have V-brakes. I'd like a 3spd/coaster brake hub as an alternative to the derailleur for the first model or two of geared bikes, to ease the transition.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Not my cup of tea really.
    I have always felt children are just small versions of adults and that there are far too many 'kiddy' looking things around for them.
    I think bikes and bike gear look 'cute' enough being small without having to put animals etc. on them.
    I guess its difficult for a company not to go down that route if they set out to make a brand for children.
    I like some of Islabike/frog products, but find the 'brand image' a bit naff personally.
  • baudmanbaudman Posts: 757
    Carbonator wrote:
    Not my cup of tea really.
    I have always felt children are just small versions of adults and that there are far too many 'kiddy' looking things around for them.
    I think bikes and bike gear look 'cute' enough being small without having to put animals etc. on them.
    I guess its difficult for a company not to go down that route if they set out to make a brand for children.
    I like some of Islabike/frog products, but find the 'brand image' a bit naff personally.

    There are two targets to market to with many kids products:
    a) the parent
    b) the child.

    Ultimately, it's the child which will determine how often the product is used. My sample set of two (aged 8 and 5) loved them - and preferred them to Islabike. (Having said that, if it was an option for me, I think a) would win out on that front and I'd [cough] manage their expectations. But that's not on appearance, that's on quality/build/resale/every-other-Islabike-justification).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    baudman wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Not my cup of tea really.
    I have always felt children are just small versions of adults and that there are far too many 'kiddy' looking things around for them.
    I think bikes and bike gear look 'cute' enough being small without having to put animals etc. on them.
    I guess its difficult for a company not to go down that route if they set out to make a brand for children.
    I like some of Islabike/frog products, but find the 'brand image' a bit naff personally.

    There are two targets to market to with many kids products:
    a) the parent
    b) the child.

    Ultimately, it's the child which will determine how often the product is used. My sample set of two (aged 8 and 5) loved them - and preferred them to Islabike. (Having said that, if it was an option for me, I think a) would win out on that front and I'd [cough] manage their expectations. But that's not on appearance, that's on quality/build/resale/every-other-Islabike-justification).

    I think they are great for children. All of the products will be head and shoulders above what children (in the UK anyway) normally ride around on.
    As for parents, I think having a brand/brands that everyone hyperventilates about is a bad thing, and the opposite of the situation with adult bikes pretty much, where 'branding' is almost discouraged.

    As to Islabikes. Do you not feel there are any children's bikes that are better build/quality (am thinking more the bigger models)? If so they should have an equally good resale shouldn't they?
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,281
    You have the Felt, Kona, Moda, and Possibly Dawes that all do 24" wheel road type bikes that are just as good if not possibly better that the Islabikes. The Dawes Espoir starts at the bottom at around £340 up to £560 for the Felt F24.
    One possible other contender is the 24" Decathlon Triban 3 Junior at £230 I managed to get my youngest son one and he loves it. Didn't pay full price as second hand one, but like new when he had it.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Hi oxoman, glad to hear you found a road bike for your son. How does he like it?

    Got my daughter the Felt (650c though). Only been out twice due to weather, but she loves it (and looks great on it ;-)
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,281
    Loves it just getting used to a bigger bike overall and gears he can actually change easily. Just need some decent weather and me off work for a change.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
Sign In or Register to comment.