Just fitted new Red Chainset - is it right?

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I've just fitted a SRAM Red compact chainset on my S-Works Tarmac (to replace the standard that came with the bike).

I've fitted it as per the SRAM guide that came with the chainset, and as such there doen't seem to be any play, so should I just assume that it is fine?

I did by the BB30 installation kit that has all the plastic washer, bearings etc. but don't seem to have had to use any.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,
Lee
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    is there a wavy washer?

for correct preload, usually this needs to be compressed only until it is almost, but not quite, flat

if the wavy washer is over-compressed the preload could be too high resulting in reduced bearing life

if the washer is flat when fitted without any plastic washers then i'd whip things off and check that the bearings and shields are fully seated
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FoldingJoe
    A wavey washer didn't come with the actual chainset itself, but there is one in the BB30 kit.

All I have at the moment is two black stepped washers which cover the bearings, then the driveside and non-driveside arms connected by the driveside bolt, and the preload adjuster has been unscrewed to remove the play.

There are a number of transparent washers, and the above wavey washer in the BB30 kit, just not sure if I need them anywhere instead of removing all the of the play with the preload adjuster, as that seems to have to be adjusted to almost the limit?

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    ah, if you've got the type with a preload adjuster you don't need the plastic washers (unless the adjuster runs out of travel, in which case you can add them as required)

on the drive side, there's just the bearing shield to fit (the stepped washer)

on the non-drive side, you have the bearing shield, then the wavy washer, then the preload adjuster

once the bolt has been tightened to join the two parks of the chainset, tweak the adjuster until the wavy washer is nearly but not quite flat, then tighten the locking screw on the adjuster
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FoldingJoe
    Brilliant, thanks for the info.