It Aint About Cav

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Cool hour long well filmed documentary from Tour of Britain 2012... Perfect for your lunch time viewing today!

http://vimeo.com/60635430

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Excellent. I watched the preview of this a while ago and was just recently wondering what happened to the full film.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Great... thanks for that.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Cheers for posting.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited March 2013
    Some beautiful pictures but not really that interesting, is it? Hardly a documentary :)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Thanks ThomThom, you've just saved my visit to the gym. The video can wait 'til later.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Some beautiful pictures but not really that interesting, is it? Hardly a docummentary :)

+1
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I loved this. (Passed my pretension proficiency test at age 5.) It captures unusual, ravishing visuals, showcases sounds, and has some authentic insights from JTL and Kristian House. Soundtrack suits me too.
    If you liked this you'll also enjoy the impressionistic Zidane movie with Mogwai music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNPDlzF4Wg.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    The soundtrack was really good.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    The soundtrack was really good.

Whatever they played during the Devon/Cornwall stages had me tearing my hair out. Incredibly annoying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Well, I thanked the OP for originally posting... downloaded it and now got round to playing it back... what a load of pretentious twaddle. Awful!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Dabber wrote:
    Well, I thanked the OP for originally posting... downloaded it and now got round to playing it back... what a load of pretentious twaddle. Awful!

Perhaps that was because your expectation had you believe it was something that it wasn't?

The great thing about Vimeo (and similar) is that amongst the great swathes of pretentious self-aggrandising shite, you'll occasionally find creative and touching stuff that defies conventional television - and even the independent film scene (the vast majority of which historically never saw the light of a projector, praise be). If you're a hard-nosed professional, you might say that's a Good Thing that so few films like this get an audience; but the truth about most of the stuff we, "The Consumer", get to consume (on TV) is that it's gone through a multitude of producers, execs and commissioners - often with commercial interests and pay-masters,; as well as having no creative or artistic sensibilities - who are just whores to an agenda (gaining kudos from their bosses) that has got nothing to do with matter at hand (in this case, cycling).

I watched it from start to finish because I love cycling - probably more than anyone else ever (I had it tested and apparently I score over 78, which is one of the highest they'd recorded - other than a Scandinavian long distance runner/skier) - yes there are flaws (if you run all the slow-mo at normal speed, the film is only 3 min 28"; there was hardly any access to the key moments in the race itself, etc...), but why not enjoy it for all the magic bits (maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy the start-line observational stuff with no presenter trying shoe-horn an agenda in)?

If "It Aint About Cav" had gone through the conventional process to get to our screens via, say, Film 4 or late night BBC 2 (prob even less likely when you consider the Sky content), it would've been... probably axed. If you linger on a shot on telly -they cut it. If you take too long with a camera pan, they either cut it or speed it up... This is what we've ended up with all our "consumer choice": 348 channels of asinine convention... Everything is sped up, moved to one side or straight-up removed to make way for white noise, or the ads... or both...
    Why do you think bird-noise became such a popular download...? People get fed up with being force-fed messages like they're foie-gras geese...

More power to Benedict Campbell and his ilk.

I've turned into my dad.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I started a thread about this earlier, but called it 'Tour of Britain film'. I guess Cav sells threads.

Anyway, this was my assessment in that thread:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere - and if it's been buried in another thread it deserves better.

It's a 70 minute documentary about the 2012 Tour of Britain by Benedict Campbell. And it looks magnificent. I'm only 25 minutes in and I have to recommend it. It's more Terence Malick than Michael Bay, but well worth a watch. If the various cycling documentaries had an Oscar night, this would be picking up wins for Cinematography, Editing and maybe Best Director.

And, for some odd reason, it's totally free.

I then went on to compare the score to Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross's work (The Social Network)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    The great thing about Vimeo (and similar) is that amongst the great swathes of pretentious self-aggrandising shite, you'll occasionally find creative and touching stuff that defies conventional ...
    SNIP
    I've turned into my dad.

Get in, dahling. Love it when you talk arty.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.