Better gearing for youth female rider

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Can anyone please suggest options for changing the cassette to help my daughter who is struggling with a 50/34 and 12/26 ultegra. What could we do to help with this, changing the cassette I hope is a reasonably cost effective option. Thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If she is not riding competitively then you can do anything.

Assuming this is the case how about fitting a longer rear mech (MTB) and putting on a larger rear cassette (32 or even 34)?

That would give much more easy gears.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Aren't they restricted? When I raced as a junior I think it was 52x15 as the biggest, 50x12 is a fair bit bigger than that. If she's not racing then as above just get either something that goes up to a 28 (should fit most rear mechs) or look at something like SRAM WiFli. You might need to add chain links if going to a 28 from a 26 (one quick link might do it for ease/cost-effectiveness). If you let us know the rear make model might be able to confirm the options.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I think she just needs to get stronger!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    FatTed wrote:
    I think she just needs to get stronger!

Really not helpful. Best way to get stronger is to keep riding, if she's not enjoying it she wont.

28 cassette will help a little bit but not hugely. I would go with Smidsy and get a longer cage and a 32.
  • I think that the Tiagra 4601 RD is the only Shimano road RD for a 32T sprocket.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    nferrar wrote:
    Aren't they restricted? When I raced as a junior I think it was 52x15 as the biggest, 50x12.

Yes hence my 1st sentence. :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    What sort of riding does she struggle with?
    if its hills (and 34/26 isnt low enough) then put on a mtb 32 or 34 cassette, longer chain and a mtb top normal type rear mech or it wont work with your gear shifters - 9 or 10 speed mechs work fine, depending what you ve got.

If its just general riding around, then i d put on a 46t front chain ring from Stronglight, you ll need to drop the front mech slightly and readjust, it has no shifting pins like shimano but works just fine, chain length stays the same.

i'm assuming she isnt racing.