Deflating Marathon Plus tyres

hubgearfan
hubgearfan Posts: 36
edited April 2013 in The workshop
In the past 4 weeks or so, I've had 5 of either punctures or other deflations of the Marathon Plus tyres on my bike. 4 on the front wheel and one on the back. The back appears to be fine now.

Marathon Plus tyres are supposedly the near puncture proof tyres from Schwalbe. Up until recently, I'd had hardly any trouble with them (1 or 2 punctures in 2-3 years).

I say either punctures or other deflations, because on at least one of the inner tubes, there doesn't seem to be any puncture and I've done 3 of the checks - firstly, with my fingers on the inside of the tyre for anything that might have pierced it: nothing - the shield that makes it "Marathon Plus" has done its job by the looks of things. One of the tubes I took out, inflated and then put it into some water to watch for bubbles from the air escaping - nothing. I then fully inflated the tyre and put the valve into some water to see any bubbles which would mean it was the valve at fault - again, nothing.

Anything else? I check the tyres each week, one time, having inflated them up to the recommended 85psi, one of them was flat the next day. I've now bought another inner tube and am considering some of that stuff you inject into the tube if it happens again - is this a good idea?

Many thanks.

Comments

• daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    Had something similar a number of years ago. Didn't think I had a puncture until I decided to over inflate the tube. Rotated the tube beside my ear and heard a slight hiss. Repaired the tube replaced it and inflated the tyre again. I rode the bike and when the tyre went flat again I carefully removed the tube, found the new hole, and matched this up with the position on the tyre. I could not find a problem with my tyre and put it down to a splinter of glass that had worked through the tyre, too small to detect but which could stick out enough to cause a puncture.

My solution was to install a tyre boot to line that section of tyre. The tyre was too good to throw away. My tyre boot consisted of a chopped down empty toothpaste tube and duct tape. Bit of a 'Blue Peter' solution but it worked.

If it is not what I described above then I don't have a clue, seems a bit mysterious.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Check the rim interior for protruding spokes under the rim tape. Check the valve hole for shapr edges and smooth off with some emery paper. Fit some decent rim tape like Velox. Fit a good quality, new inner tube with the valve properly aligned , pointing radially.
    Marathon+ are such a PITA to change that it is really worthwhile checking this out before re-fitting the tyre, avoidng pinch flats. You should get years of trouble free riding from M+ tyres.
  • Cheers guys; I've since (last week) just fitted a new inner tube, a cheap one from Wilko's, and it seems to be holding up OK. I can't help but suspect it was something to do with the way I pumped them up - not checking the pump adapter was fitted properly so over-inflating and damaging the valve or something.

Meanwhile, thought I'd share this with you given Michael W's statement about Marathon+ being difficult to change - I daresay you mean putting the tyre back on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

I have found that this really works - you don't even need the cable ties provided you are able to hold the tyre you've fitted in place with one hand, although it is a little harder.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    brilliant idea to use toe clip straps, must remember that one for future reference!